So, does this 'more original' version..

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Psalm150
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

So, does this 'more original' version..

Post by Psalm150 »

sound any different than the layout we all use currently? Has anyone swapped over yet?
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

""sound any different "" Well that could be a yes and no answer..

The overall tone will be probably about the same.. The channels will be or have a slight tone difference. Since they will be going through different value PI caps..may effect the gain sound of the channels... Also the V3 will have the voltages swapped to the plates. It will also keep phases in line to what side does what.. But the important thing is, it will be correct to the original. Hoping too it may help all those trem problems everyone seems to have. As i was looking through the pics.. i went to Pauls page.. i couldn't see close enough..but his looked right.. maybe if he comes on he could let us know.. It did look like his PI was correct..but the other things i couldn't see. One thing about it is.. its an easy change..its rewireing some on the sockets or swapping positions.. and 3 changes to the pot wireing..And thats it.. If you look at Mark D layout.. the sockets were positioned different. Its late and my brain is on fizzzzzzz..lol Gabi should have something soon.
Richie
0 x

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jaysg »

Plexi wrote:"The channels will be or have a slight tone difference. (clip) But the important thing is, it will be correct to the original. Richie
Hmm...does this change the channel to channel phase? Colin made comments early on about the Normal channel and the Bright channel -- not the Normal channel and the Tremolo channel. He also wrote about using both at the same time, which never made sense with the two channels out of phase.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

jaysg wrote: Colin made comments early on about the Normal channel and the Bright channel -- not the Normal channel and the Tremolo channel. He also wrote about using both at the same time, which never made sense with the two channels out of phase.
Yes, I'm wondering about that as well...
0 x