First 18w build - EF86 Lite 2P

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: First 18w build - EF86 Lite 2P

Post by yello »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sun 05/22/22 7:20 am
Listening through my computer monitor speakers, I heard more articulation and crunch coming from set B. Neither set sounded bad. For the record, I used to think JJs sounded good, the issue was reliability. Though some people have complained about their tone going down hill in recent years (I wouldn't know, I stopped using them long ago).

You should intonate your guitar better- get a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner if you don't already have one. Nothing is better for intonation.

You should also try playing with the touch sensitivity of the amp. Crank the amp into a decent amount of distortion, and try lightly finger picking to find a clean tone, then punch it a little harder with a pick to get the dirt. Try things in between with different pressure and see how dynamic you can make it.

Thanks,
Josh
I definitely have a tube set I prefer, which I'll reveal after a few more people chime in. I should probably find the time at some point to actually carefully set-up and record clips, which I will likely do after the amp is complete and in an enclosure (still looking). I'll tune/intonate the guitar better, mess with controls for optimum settings, etc. - These were just quick clips for basic comparison and I only had a brief time window, I just wanted to at least offer a quick listen.
1 x

Unit_1

Post by Unit_1 »

Listening through JBL LSR308 studio monitors. Set A sounds muffled compared to B. I listened back and forth, a then b then a then b, etc. B wins.

A sounds like pillows in front of the speaker compared to B...

And now I have to get off my butt and mow the lawn. gaaa...
2 x
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

There is such a noticeable difference between the clips I wonder what they are. For me B wins with no debate, much clearer with more harmonics.

Dd
2 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

yello wrote:
Sat 05/21/22 10:34 pm
Got a chance to make a couple quick tube set comparison videos. Les Paul into 18w into 1x10" cab with 1990 Celestion Vintage 10 with Dr Z Brake Lite attenuator down 2 clicks.

Hopefully there is an audible difference via iPhone thru youtube. I could hear and feel it clearly in the room. Which tube set do you prefer?

Tube set A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_IETOCJ6vQ

Tube set B:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA6GWYiCK00
I vote B too. But it's not the brand per ce.. bias plays a big role too IMHO. You could have had the same effect the other way around.
Both sound pretty good..
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Tue 05/24/22 1:54 pm
I vote B too. But it's not the brand per ce.. bias plays a big role too IMHO. You could have had the same effect the other way around.
Both sound pretty good..
True, bias can play its part. It would be interesting to see voltages from both sets. Still I think if they were biased the same there would likely be a noticeable difference.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

Bieworm wrote:
Tue 05/24/22 1:54 pm
yello wrote:
Sat 05/21/22 10:34 pm
Got a chance to make a couple quick tube set comparison videos. Les Paul into 18w into 1x10" cab with 1990 Celestion Vintage 10 with Dr Z Brake Lite attenuator down 2 clicks.

Hopefully there is an audible difference via iPhone thru youtube. I could hear and feel it clearly in the room. Which tube set do you prefer?

Tube set A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_IETOCJ6vQ

Tube set B:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA6GWYiCK00
Both sound pretty good..
I agree, both sound good, and not drastically different.

A is the vintage tube set. B is the JJ tube set - with the power tubes being el844's, so what we might be hearing is them breaking up earlier at similar settings.

I actually like the vintage tube set as they have more clarity and don't break up as quickly, but I'd be happy playing either set. I didn't take voltages yet of set A, but likely will to compare to what I saw with the JJ's in there.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

yello wrote:
Tue 05/24/22 2:04 pm

A is the vintage tube set. B is the JJ tube set - with the power tubes being el844's, so what we might be hearing is them breaking up earlier at similar settings.

I actually like the vintage tube set as they have more clarity and don't break up as quickly, but I'd be happy playing either set. I didn't take voltages yet of set A, but likely will to compare to what I saw with the JJ's in there.
It's surprising that the JJs are EL844s, which break up sooner, so that's kinda counterintuitive. The B set sounded like they were clearer and more dynamic, at least over the recording.

Let the tubes warm up and take some voltages, I'm curious to see them.
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Tue 05/24/22 2:15 pm
yello wrote:
Tue 05/24/22 2:04 pm

It's surprising that the JJs are EL844s, which break up sooner, so that's kinda counterintuitive. The B set sounded like they were clearer and more dynamic, at least over the recording.

Let the tubes warm up and take some voltages, I'm curious to see them.
It might have been my amp settings - it was certainly not a scientific comparison as I was messing with amp settings for each differently according to volume and breakup.
2 x

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

Finally got a nice headcab built for the amp, made by Bob at Sourmash:

4 x