2x10 combo

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

2x10 combo

Post by chaliapin »

Planning the cab for my 36w so I can do something while waiting for my tube town gear to arrive to finish the circuit. I have two NOS g10s50 with metal grills which im planning to use. Also have a single eminence/ fender blue chassis alnico which I could also try.

This is supposed to be a zero spend project as I thought I had all the parts and we're drowning in unpaid bills...

I have a stack of 5 inch wide, 3/4 inch thick pine floor TnG boards and hopefully sufficient scraps of 1/2 inch ply for the back panels and floating baffle...

Chassis is 20" long. Planning on external dimensions of 24 1/2" wide, 16 1/2 inch tall, approx 8-9" deep once I've removed tongue and groove from the outside of two joined boards for tops and sides.

Am I doing anything iffy?

Id like it to be light as possible, hoping to butt joint with glue and dowels without timber inside the corners. Also planning routed holes ten inches up on each side for handles. Planning on sanding and linseed oil as I have a bottle.

Thanks all.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: 2x10 combo

Post by Bieworm »

If you are a well enough skilled woodworker I don't see why it wouldn't be ok.
Important is to glue the joined boards with enough glue, and well pressed to each other with good equipment. Most solid boards are an assembly of glued strips after all.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Im toying with the idea of 1x10 detuned combo with the eminence/ fender blue for a super light option. Built same size as the 2x10 so I can always go 2x with a new baffle and removing back panel. Thinking of the speaker in the centre of the baffle to balance the weight, then two ports on either side roughly equal to the area of a 10 inch circle. Any thoughts? Should i make it deeper? I know the answer is to just build it and try it but I am struggling for free time at the moment so am doing more thinking than building...

Bit boxy and not very bassy is kind of fine with me but not sounding puny and crap...
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

I love detuned cabs. I'd say that's a great way to go. Make the baffle standard, and place the single 10" speaker opposite the transformers, and it should feel pretty good in hand without any extra effort.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Ok great thanks. Do I need to consider extra ventilation with a closed back cab?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

chaliapin wrote:
Thu 12/08/22 12:39 pm
Ok great thanks. Do I need to consider extra ventilation with a closed back cab?
I wouldn't do a closed back combo. If you do a closed back at all, you need to consider physics that affect the sound in addition to ventilation.

If you want to experiment with closed back, make it sectional, so there's a middle panel that can be removed to make it open back. Or you can do multiple middle panels to do semi open, or full open.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Ok right great, I thought detuned were always closed back.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

chaliapin wrote:
Thu 12/08/22 5:56 pm
Ok right great, I thought detuned were always closed back.
Nah, I do all my 2x12 open-back stacks as detuned unless otherwise requested. My personal cabs are open-back 2x12s with a single WGS Blackhawk in each.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Seriously? I'd think closed back too...
When i take the amp out of an open back'd combo (with front control) i think the sound of the combo really suffers from being open at both sides. YMMV...
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Fri 12/09/22 6:27 am
Seriously? I'd think closed back too...
When i take the amp out of an open back'd combo (with front control) i think the sound of the combo really suffers from being open at both sides. YMMV...
That's why I recommend making a cabinet with multiple rear panels. You can test it out and see what's best, open, partially open, or closed. My 2x12 speaker cabs are open back, and I love how they sound detuned. YMMV. ;)
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Josh, what type of baffle do you use, floating? Also I have half inch ply hanging around but only 12 inch wide, think an inch clearance around each 10" speaker hole is enough?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

chaliapin wrote:
Thu 12/15/22 4:55 pm
Josh, what type of baffle do you use, floating? Also I have half inch ply hanging around but only 12 inch wide, think an inch clearance around each 10" speaker hole is enough?
I don't build cabs but you can ask Bieworm, he does build his cabs. My 2 cents is that it doesn't necessarily matter about the clearance if you make up the volume another way. Aesthetics and stability are another story.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Ah ok no worries thanks, the box itself will be taller but will have a panel above the baffle.
1 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Thinking front loading speakers on the baffle unless it's too bright with 18/36watt?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

when you take a look at the 5F4 tweed super, you'll notice the 10" speakers are squeezed in too. So it's not a problem.. I did that too before. No issues.
Is your combo with the amp controls on top or on the front? When on top you can screw/glue a 1x1 inch frame inside the combo to mount the baffle.
When on the front it usually is sufficient to mount a U-shaped 1by1 inch frame with the top side open. In that case it's good practice to fix a 1by1 inch wooden beam on the baffle itself to prevent the baffle from bending...
But you have to take that in account when polulating the amp chassis, so the components have enough clearance for that beam.

https://guitar.com/review/vintage-bench ... der-super/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303388205801
20220204_181926.jpg
20211225_194119.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Brilliant thanks, controls on top but I think I'll attach the baffle in a U shape as you suggest and have a second panel to fill the gap. I'll have to have a frame or something removable for the grill if I'm front mounting the speaker(s)
1 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

This is coming together in my mind although not much timber cut... my blue frame eminence/ fender is paper cone and rated at 20 or 25w. So not going to cut it with the 36 watter. What do we think of a single g10s50 in the detuned cab?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

chaliapin wrote:
Wed 12/21/22 10:51 am
This is coming together in my mind although not much timber cut... my blue frame eminence/ fender is paper cone and rated at 20 or 25w. So not going to cut it with the 36 watter. What do we think of a single g10s50 in the detuned cab?
The 1028 emi is a really great speaker, but indeed not qualified for your 36W. A gold alnico will be awesome too… but any 50 to 60 watt celestion vintage series will do
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

My favorite speaker is the WGS Blackhawk, but that's only 12". If I was going to do a 10" detuned cab, I'd try out the WGS 10” G10A (75 watts).
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Bieworm wrote:
Wed 12/21/22 11:05 am
chaliapin wrote:
Wed 12/21/22 10:51 am
The 1028 emi is a really great speaker, but indeed not qualified for your 36W. A gold alnico will be awesome too… but any 50 to 60 watt celestion vintage series will do
Thanks, I dunno about vintage series, my g10s50 are nos made in England I assume you're giving it the thumbs up?
1 x