SIII build from scratch

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: SIII build from scratch

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Tue 01/10/23 11:54 am
- the most tricky part is the baffle itself, IE the tension and outlining the grill cloth. I have developped a very effective and easy way to do this. Believe me, everyone’s first attempt on this is plain awful.
That's funny, I find the grille cloth the easiest part. I used to stretch canvases for painting when I was young, so that part is similar enough.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Tue 01/10/23 12:28 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Tue 01/10/23 11:54 am
- the most tricky part is the baffle itself, IE the tension and outlining the grill cloth. I have developped a very effective and easy way to do this. Believe me, everyone’s first attempt on this is plain awful.
That's funny, I find the grille cloth the easiest part. I used to stretch canvases for painting when I was young, so that part is similar enough.
No no… grill cloth is very stubborn fabric… unless you use the f€nder type of cloth. But the ones marshall uses are very nasty on the corners. Especially the blues breaker type of grill cloth. Canvas has a tighter weave and bends more consistently than the thick grill cloth material
2 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I first staple the cloth on the top side of the baffle … perfectly aligned. Then I turn the baffle upside down so the cloth faces the work bench. At the backside of the top side I screw a wooden beam the sticks put 10cm at each side. I flip the baflle back around with the clotch facing upwards and screw the beam to the work bench’s sufrace, with the bottom side of the baffle hanging an inch over the edge of the bench. Then I staple another beam to the very en of the grill cloth, perfectly alligned and parallel with the top beam. Now roll up the grill cloth with the bottom beam. Then I shove the old laptop bag shoulder handle over the ends of the bottom beam, and stretch the grill cloth over the bottom edge of the baffle with my hands. When I’m sure its nicely aligned I put my foot in the shoulder handle and press down very hard. That’s when I start stapling the cloth on the bottom edge.. not loosening the tension until it’s completely stapeled. That’s as tight as a drum head… the sides are easier…
9A796121-1439-4C72-AF30-EFA29D97E709.jpeg
A65B545F-F04B-4E7C-9DBF-B7458CA3988C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

B47124F4-43D8-4147-83A0-CC92619A2D85.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

AussieTim

Post by AussieTim »

I am imagining how to do this with a baffle that has a valance
I am thinking that I need to start at the top edge under where the valance sits then pull tight onto the bottom then the sides
0 x

AussieTim

Post by AussieTim »

I am using Salt and Pepper Cloth that I got from solsound in England
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

AussieTim wrote:
Tue 01/10/23 11:23 pm
I am imagining how to do this with a baffle that has a valance
I am thinking that I need to start at the top edge under where the valance sits then pull tight onto the bottom then the sides
I’m not completely sure what you mean. Do you have examples?
0 x

AussieTim

Post by AussieTim »

PXL_20230929_081750410.jpg
IMG_20230929_175329_02.jpg
IMG_20230929_175329_01.jpg
Finally got around to finishing off the cabinet for my 18 watt build I have also completed a deluxe reverb which prompted me to polish off the 18 watter I made a big mistake with using vinyl from the fabric chain store here in Australia and found it was way too soft to really work with and tears too easily at some stage I will recover with proper tolex
PXL_20231001_083707413.jpg
2 x

dalebeachwood
Unrated

Post by dalebeachwood »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Wed 09/07/22 12:55 pm
AussieTim wrote:
Tue 09/06/22 5:58 am
Ok have had this thing running for a couple of months now and so far have found
1 switching valves doesn't seem to give a vastly different sound, probably not enough to worry about, I think I will remove the 6v6 valves and switch and just run with the el84s
2 Phil was right, it is pretty clean I will change some resistors and caps to make it into the Trinity Plexi 2 version
It is indeed very clean sounding in the online demo clip. but it's a very sweet silverFace--like clean 8)
I built a Trinity SIII-V6 head kit in 2016 that I use with a 2x12 Bluesbreaker cabinet, loaded with a Celestion G12 EVH and a Celestion G12-65. It was my first amp build, but I took my time, learned a lot and the amp came out great.

My SIII-V6, as in the comments by AussieTime and zaphod_phils, is indeed very clean sounding. I also, do not notice much if any difference between switching from the EL84s to the 6V6s. However, in all honesty I am never able to really crank the volume up. I did buy the Trinity VRM -Voltage Regulation Module but never got around to installing it.

I recently retired, and now with more time on my hands, decided to get back into tube electronics and started thinking about what I might do to re-voice the Trinity to be a bit less clean since I already have a couple of other very clean sounding amps; a 1983 Fender Deluxe Reverb II (6V6s) and a 2004 Magnatone Panaramic Stereo 2x10 (EL84s).

@Aussie Tim, did you ever change caps and resistors to make it into a Trinity Plexi 2 version? If so, I would be interested in your results and any advice you might have.

I would also be interested in any suggestions from others as to where I might want to start to make my SIII a little less clean, and possibly a bit more "Marahall like".

Thanks, Dale
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Study the SL TMB schematic and layout. This amp has plenty of drive at lower volume. Maybe it’s a pretty easy surgery of your current amp…

viewtopic.php?t=24430
0 x