Help me get started?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Crusty

Help me get started?

Post by Crusty »

Howdy All,

Been a BIG Marshall fan forever. I'm gonna be starting my first homebrew soon (a tweed Deluxe), and thought that if all goes well with that, I'd have a go at an 18 watt knock-off for attempt number two.

Anyone who wants to "share the love" as far as best places to get parts, trannies, chassis, etc, and can point me toward layouts ( I can't read schematics), parts lists, and anything else a chronic tinkerer might find useful, would be greatly appreciated. (Whew! The mother of run-on sentences!)

If this has been done to death here, feel free to pop an email my way!

Thanks!
Crusty
0 x

Wannatone
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Wannatone »

Hi Crusty, welcome in the 18 watt world!

For discussions about trannies just read some recent threads or try a search.

Wiring schemes (chassis layouts) can be found in the download area.

For parts and kits, just try the GDS ad in the upper right corner (http://www.gdsamps.com/).

Hope this helps to get started. :-)
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Graydon probably has most of anything you need.. some get parts from different places.. And many here Paul,Norm, Jim, Glenn, and probably Graydon has some boards,. and proably some names i left out...lol
usually alot of it come from Mouser.. they usually have the pots and resistors and things like that, indicator etc.. There used to be a parts list somewhere in the files.. graydon has the clone chassis and transformers.
Some have used there own chassis,or different transformers.
but if your new to building, i'd suggest the chassis from Graydon,and Transformers.. and plexi panels.. Its all made to dit,and prepunched.. That alone makes it alot easier. but many here can help,parts or whatever.

Richie
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

...and not forgetting angela.com, antique electronics (aka tubesandmore.com), webervst.com or Eurotubes either....
0 x

Crusty

Post by Crusty »

Thanks for the tips, guys. Looks like this project could be quite a bit more costly than the tweed Deluxe project. I'm only into that for a few hundred dollars!

Does WeberVST make a chassis comparable to the one you all use for this project?
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Build yourself a Lite II variant then, sourcing the components yourself. You can get turret or eyelet boards from the guys listed in the Dealers forum, and use lower cost transformers from places like Angela.
0 x

jetsetscoot

Is this the Crusty from Crusty Cabinets and the VST board?

Post by jetsetscoot »

If so, welcome.

-John I
Baltimore
0 x

Crusty

Re: Is this the Crusty from Crusty Cabinets and the VST boar

Post by Crusty »

jetsetscoot wrote:If so, welcome.

-John I
Baltimore
Yep, that's me!

Best Marshall I've ever owned was a 1976 Lead & Bass model 2100 2X12 combo.

Lordy, but that amp sounded heavenly! The traces started lifting on the PCboard, so I had a local guy pull it and redo it with a stuffed component board. Never sounded the same after that (he says with a tear in his eye), so I ended up flipping it.

Rumor has is that it once belonged to SRV (no proof). The guy I bought it from (the infamous Robert Hudson of Blues Pearl fame) told me that SRVs nephew brough it and another amp in for servicing, then traded that one off for payment for the work.
0 x