Loss of ch 1 input on a tube depot build. Bought it did t build it.

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

fruity2x
Unrated

Loss of ch 1 input on a tube depot build. Bought it did t build it.

Post by fruity2x »

Glad I found y’all because I love this amp and wanna learn more.

Here’s my issue right now. The other day at band practice my guitar player switched for ch 1 to ch 2 to use the trem and when he went back to ch 1 it was “dead” like you can hear the guitar but at like 1-3%. Barely there. I rolled some other tubes through the slots and nothing changed. Ch 2 still works just fine.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Loss of ch 1 input on a tube depot build. Bought it did t build it.

Post by Bieworm »

What do you lean by switching? Is there a switch or is it just plugging the jack into the desired channel?
If the latter is the case there will likely be something wrong with the input jack (wiring/soldering)
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

fruity2x
Unrated

Post by fruity2x »

Yea the latter….that’s what I was thinking to I just wanted to check before I started taking it apart. I’m a bass player not an amp tech. Guitar/bass electronics is about where I draw the line.

I’ll keep ya posted…cracking it now.

1 x

fruity2x
Unrated

Post by fruity2x »

So I popped it open and all the solder joints in the whole amp looked fine. I also took the tubes out of my Jet City and same results. Unless y’all have a genus idea I guess it’s off to my local tech.

0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

There are plenty of suggestions we could make, but it sounds like you're not comfortable working on the amp (and that's okay). Please read our code of conduct & safety: code-of-conduct/

To troubleshoot your amp, there are two options. With the amp unplugged, look for any issues with a magnifying glass and see if you can find something obvious. That's unlikely to be the answer. More likely, you would need to have the amp powered on and opened up for testing to see what's going on. If you're not comfortable with that, and yes, it is dangerous, then your idea to bring it to a tech is correct.

If you have good soldering equipment, and you'd like to try yourself, then do some reading about amp repair safety, and we can point you in the right direction. Also review the soldering technique videos in my signature if you wish to proceed with the repair yourself.

Thanks,
Josh
3 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

fruity2x
Unrated

Post by fruity2x »

JMPGuitars wrote:There are plenty of suggestions we could make, but it sounds like you're not comfortable working on the amp (and that's okay). Please read our code of conduct & safety: code-of-conduct/

To troubleshoot your amp, there are two options. With the amp unplugged, look for any issues with a magnifying glass and see if you can find something obvious. That's unlikely to be the answer. More likely, you would need to have the amp powered on and opened up for testing to see what's going on. If you're not comfortable with that, and yes, it is dangerous, then your idea to bring it to a tech is correct.

If you have good soldering equipment, and you'd like to try yourself, then do some reading about amp repair safety, and we can point you in the right direction. Also review the soldering technique videos in my signature if you wish to proceed with the repair yourself.

Thanks,
Josh
Thanks Josh. Being new to your group I read a lot of you starter stuff and I also know enough about tube amps to know it will kill me dead Image

I can solder very well but this is too high dollar to do that with. Some day I’ll build my own but for now I’ll stick to instruments and crossovers and junk.

I was hoping it was an easy thing I could fix…reboot the flux capacitor or adjust the cannoli valve Image

Looking forward to my time here, y’all seem rad.

1 x