6g2 blocking distortion/fuzz at full vol

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

audiosalvage
Unrated

6g2 blocking distortion/fuzz at full vol

Post by audiosalvage »

Hey all, I've got a princeton build here that gets all farty and buzzy after 3:00 on the volume knob. You can actually hear the double tremolo beat at this point too. I've got the 470R 5 watt grid stoppers , 1.5K screen resistors and 1 meg grid stopper on pin 7 of phase inv. in place. Also tried .047 phase inverter output caps with no avail. Speakers all good, tubes good. What else can I do? or is this normal?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: 6g2 blocking distortion/fuzz at full vol

Post by Bieworm »

audiosalvage wrote:
Sat 03/04/23 8:22 pm
Hey all, I've got a princeton build here that gets all farty and buzzy after 3:00 on the volume knob. You can actually hear the double tremolo beat at this point too. I've got the 470R 5 watt grid stoppers , 1.5K screen resistors and 1 meg grid stopper on pin 7 of phase inv. in place. Also tried .047 phase inverter output caps with no avail. Speakers all good, tubes good. What else can I do? or is this normal?
Those grid stopper values are weird. Post a schematic please, with the changes from the original. Detailed pics of the entire build are welcome and a youtube clip can help us too
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

audiosalvage
Unrated

Post by audiosalvage »

Ok I may have explained wrong, anyway, I now have 470R screen resistors and 47K grid stoppers in place. It has gotten rid of the blocking/cut out distortion,but I now notice a loud beating from the tremolo, even with the volume off
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

audiosalvage
Unrated

Post by audiosalvage »

I traced the trem problem to a couple bad solder joints. NOW were talkin'! I put some 47k grid stoppers in and I'm happy with the results. full vol has a little saturation and backing it off a bit gives a rich, warm edge. With the tremolo on, it can do "Born on the Bayou" perfectly. Time to put her in a cabinet. Thank you all again.
2 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

audiosalvage wrote:
Tue 03/07/23 10:04 pm
I traced the trem problem to a couple bad solder joints. NOW were talkin'! I put some 47k grid stoppers in and I'm happy with the results. full vol has a little saturation and backing it off a bit gives a rich, warm edge. With the tremolo on, it can do "Born on the Bayou" perfectly. Time to put her in a cabinet. Thank you all again.
Post a sound clip please.. I’m curious about the 6G2
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

audiosalvage
Unrated

Post by audiosalvage »

Here is a clip using a strat with a SD mini in the bridge. I gradually increased the volume and there are no pedals involved.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x