Marshall 1974x, should I?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

drmgolf_67
Unrated

Marshall 1974x, should I?

Post by drmgolf_67 »

Hi All

I’m contemplating purchasing a Marshall 1974x.
I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom and play mainly rock music, AC/DC(ish) style. Playing at home and the better the tone the more I play.
Could you please give me your thoughts on the 1974x pro’s/cons and if you feel this would be a good purchase please.
I’m not overly knowledgeable on amps but currently have a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Rect-O-Verb 25.

Thank you in advance.
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Marshall 1974x, should I?

Post by Bieworm »

drmgolf_67 wrote:
Sat 05/06/23 1:43 am
Hi All

I’m contemplating purchasing a Marshall 1974x.
I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom and play mainly rock music, AC/DC(ish) style. Playing at home and the better the tone the more I play.
Could you please give me your thoughts on the 1974x pro’s/cons and if you feel this would be a good purchase please.
I’m not overly knowledgeable on amps but currently have a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Rect-O-Verb 25.

Thank you in advance.
Great amp in its own way. The original ones tend to have a failing power transformer, but Marshall is pretty cooperative about that. It’s a rock machine pur sang! (Full blood)
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Mark1406

Re: Marshall 1974x, should I?

Post by Mark1406 »

I think you should play through the amp and see if it’s for you. The 1974 won’t have as much bottom end as other Marshall amps. The 1974 doesn’t have JCM-800 style gain either. I think there is a sweet spot on the volume control.

Then there is the various mods to 18 watt amps such as rewiring the normal channel tone control and operating both triodes in parallel.

Regards

Mark
2 x
warm regardsMark