TMB modern classic turret board

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

JohnJankowski
Unrated

TMB modern classic turret board

Post by JohnJankowski »

Hey guys,

My recent 18w TMB build, following Monotone's lead (I know, I learned) crapped out. Using information I gleaned from these pages, it’s up and running. Clean and quiet, until one wants distortion.

The unfortunate part is I’ve dug through it and modded it and replaced so much that it’s a mess.

I’ve decided to rebuild it. However, using the TMB Modern classic design.

Does a source exist for a turret board? Or a diagram of the basic board before component install?

I intend to use the existing iron and filter caps. Whatever I can. I’ll use new sockets and board components. I have a pretty good inventory.

Anyway, a B of M and a turret board source would be a huge help. Or that diagram. Thanks.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: TMB modern classic turret board

Post by Bieworm »

Making turret boards is not hard, but I bet Josh will make one for you. A custom board will always look nicer than the standard perforated boards.
I cut my own from large sheets of G10 fiberboard.
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

The layout diagram in the downloads section is 1:1 scale if you print actual size. Then you can simply drill the center holes of the turrets in the drawing.

Refer to the schematic to see what parts you need to order.

I can build you a turret board for $100 + shipping if you want one. You can email me directly at support at jmpguitars dot com if you're interested.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

JohnJankowski
Unrated

Post by JohnJankowski »

Thanks Josh. I’ll be in touch
1 x

JohnJankowski
Unrated

Post by JohnJankowski »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 06/17/23 8:41 am
The layout diagram in the downloads section is 1:1 scale if you print actual size. Then you can simply drill the center holes of the turrets in the drawing.

Refer to the schematic to see what parts you need to order.

I can build you a turret board for $100 + shipping if you want one. You can email me directly at support at jmpguitars dot com if you're interested.

Thanks,
Josh
Message sent both direct email and through your website. Thanks.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

This is your turret board:
18w-tmb-modern-classic-turret-board.jpg
Thanks,
Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

JohnJankowski
Unrated

Post by JohnJankowski »

Perfect! The grounds and jumpers are appreciated and unexpected. Thanks very much.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

JohnJankowski wrote:
Thu 06/22/23 2:09 am
Perfect! The grounds and jumpers are appreciated and unexpected. Thanks very much.
None of it is soldered, that's on you. 😉
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

KagliostroAmpwww
Unrated

Post by KagliostroAmpwww »

That is a nice and respectable job

only I had prefer if wires holes (near turrets obviously) will be present

That will add a professional look to the Board and the realization

A further step will be to have the Layout engraved on the Board, with or without components values (I don't think it will be hard to be added as is possible to see an engraved text on the board)

To me this will give a very professional look

K
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

KagliostroAmpwww wrote:
Fri 06/23/23 11:17 am
That is a nice and respectable job

only I had prefer if wires holes (near turrets obviously) will be present

That will add a professional look to the Board and the realization

A further step will be to have the Layout engraved on the Board, with or without components values (I don't think it will be hard to be added as is possible to see an engraved text on the board)

To me this will give a very professional look

K
I can't stand wire holes on turret boards. It makes no sense, there's no real point, they can add stress to the wires, while also slightly limiting your ability to deal with lead dress issues. I can't think of ANY circumstance where I would prefer a wire hole on a turret board. Every time I see a build with them I cringe. To each their own I guess lol.

I could engrave the layout, but there's no real benefit here. If you want to go that far, you should be looking at PCBs with silkscreens. I make those too. 😉
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

KagliostroAmpwww
Unrated

I can't stand wire holes on turret boards. It makes no sense, there's no real point, they can add stress to the wires, while also slightly limiting your ability to deal with lead dress issues. I can't think of ANY circumstance where I would prefer a wire hole on a turret board. Every time I see a build with them I cringe. To each their own I guess lol.
To me things aren't exactly as you say
06.jpg
16.jpg
big_guts.jpg
I can see only benefits reacing a better order in wires
I could engrave the layout, but there's no real benefit here. If you want to go that far, you should be looking at PCBs with silkscreens.
To me the benefit is evident, few peoples reach a so professional look on Turret Boards
Layout on Board.jpg
Layout on Board - Complete.jpg
---

As you can see I'm not talking about an idea, I'm talking about builds that has a good professional look, I want not to say that without the holes or the engraved layout it will be a not satisfactory look, but this way something of professional will be added to the look

K
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

KagliostroAmpwww wrote:
Fri 06/23/23 3:26 pm
As you can see I'm not talking about an idea, I'm talking about builds that has a good professional look, I want not to say that without the holes or the engraved layout it will be a not satisfactory look, but this way something of professional will be added to the look
Again, I disagree. I don't think that looks more professional at all. I could highlight 30 different things in those photos that stand out to me as DIY/hobbyist level work. The etching isn't clear either, it also looks like hobbyist work. No offense intended, we're entitled to our own opinions.

Anyway, this is entirely off topic for this thread, so let's move on. If you wish to continue this discussion, start a new thread in the by the bench section and we can "measure our circuit boards." 😉😉
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

KagliostroAmpwww
Unrated

No, not interested

You have your ideas I've mine

STOP here the OT

K
2 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

KagliostroAmpwww wrote:
Fri 06/23/23 5:34 pm
No, not interested

You have your ideas I've mine

STOP here the OT

K
Hey Franco! I think you have nice work anyhow. Other methodical approaches don’t mean they’re better or worse. Your input is very much appreciated man… in my limited experience I tend to follow Josh’s methods for he has stood by my side since the very beginning of my amp journey. And every stubborn deviation of that has proven me wrong every time. That’s why all of my builds are built with the same topology, even if it’s Fender based. Here’s my Princeton reverb version:
IMG_7491.jpeg
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 06/24/23 7:14 am
Here’s my Princeton reverb version:
That looks great! However, I would work on the consistency of your turret top hole soldering. I would suggest heating a bit longer (be sure the iron is getting good contact to the turret), and make sure the "heat bridge" solder melts into the turret before adding the bonding solder.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 06/24/23 9:47 am
Bieworm wrote:
Sat 06/24/23 7:14 am
Here’s my Princeton reverb version:
That looks great! However, I would work on the consistency of your turret top hole soldering. I would suggest heating a bit longer (be sure the iron is getting good contact to the turret), and make sure the "heat bridge" solder melts into the turret before adding the bonding solder.
I do actually… I always wait until the solder sinks a little inside. I let it cool for 2 seconds and add the topping as an aesthetic thing
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 06/24/23 4:21 pm
I do actually… I always wait until the solder sinks a little inside. I let it cool for 2 seconds and add the topping as an aesthetic thing
Quit it! To anybody that knows about soldering, it makes the turret tops look amateur. But also, you have turret tops in that photo in about 8 different styles. Concave consistency (and the wire outline) is what you need if you want to look professional. Also, it makes it hard to troubleshoot and inspect if your soldering on top is weird. My nine-year-old would call it "sus." 😉😉

Seriously though, the rest looks really good. That's the glaring standout that bugs my detail detector.
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 06/24/23 8:26 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Sat 06/24/23 4:21 pm
Quit it! To anybody that knows about soldering, it makes the turret tops look amateur. But also, you have turret tops in that photo in about 8 different styles. Concave consistency (and the wire outline) is what you need if you want to look professional. Also, it makes it hard to troubleshoot and inspect if your soldering on top is weird. My nine-year-old would call it "sus." 😉😉

Seriously though, the rest looks really good. That's the glaring standout that bugs my detail detector.
Aye aye sir🫡
1 x