Which channel do you prefer?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

DaveHale
Unrated

Which channel do you prefer?

Post by DaveHale »

Hi guys, I just wanna know which channel do you prefer, the Normal or the Tremolo? Is the Tremolo channel any different from the Normal channel aside from the tremolo?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Which channel do you prefer?

Post by Bieworm »

Assuming you mean the modern classic or 1974 type 18 watt…
The normal channel has 2 gain stages, where the trem channel has only 1 stage. So that results in the normal channel having more overdrive when cranked. It sounds fantastic! The trem channel is less gainy, but also sounds very complex. I couldn’t choose though.. both sound awesome
The downside is both channels are immediately very loud and hard to dial in at home. You could tackle that by putting a lesser gain tube in that channel, such as a 12AY7. Hard to put it into overdrive, but overall a very sweet and complex tone.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 07/01/23 6:02 am
The normal channel has 2 gain stages
Does it?
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 07/01/23 1:56 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Does it?
Ok I meant a double triode gain stage😎
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 07/01/23 4:04 pm
JMPGuitars wrote:
Bieworm wrote:
Does it?
Depending on which build, it's either single (half) or parallel (both) usage of a double triode gain stage. Unless you cascade the two triodes, and then... 😉
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 07/01/23 4:14 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Sat 07/01/23 4:04 pm
JMPGuitars wrote:

Does it?
Depending on which build, it's either single (half) or parallel (both) usage of a double triode gain stage. Unless you cascade the two triodes, and then... 😉
Superlite without tmb?
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 07/01/23 5:17 pm
Superlite without tmb?
lol, sure. It's cascaded, which gives you two gain stages in 1 dual triode. The SL is not the only amp with a cascaded preamp. But, I guess without the TMB you could make it a SuperDuperLite.
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Bieworm wrote:
The normal channel has 2 gain stages, where the trem channel has only 1 stage. So that results in the normal channel having more overdrive when cranked. It sounds fantastic! The trem channel is less gainy, but also sounds very complex. I couldn’t choose though.. both sound awesome
The downside is both channels are immediately very loud and hard to dial in at home. You could tackle that by putting a lesser gain tube in that channel, such as a 12AY7. Hard to put it into overdrive, but overall a very sweet and complex tone.
Does putting a lower gain tube in work very differently from turning the volume down? Just give you more useable sweep at lower volume?

Also am i right the lite 2b is the same gain stages but without tremolo effect?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 07/01/23 8:19 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Sat 07/01/23 5:17 pm
Superlite without tmb?
lol, sure. It's cascaded, which gives you two gain stages in 1 dual triode. The SL is not the only amp with a cascaded preamp. But, I guess without the TMB you could make it a SuperDuperLite.
A cascaded 12AX7 with a single tone control behind it would yield some serious preamp overdrive. But to have a good tone there would be some serious tweaking of voltages involved..
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

chaliapin wrote:
Sun 07/02/23 2:22 am
Bieworm wrote:
Does putting a lower gain tube in work very differently from turning the volume down? Just give you more useable sweep at lower volume?

Also am i right the lite 2b is the same gain stages but without tremolo effect?
It’s not the same as lowering the volume with the pot. You do have more volume travel and control in the first half of the sweep. But the tone will be cleaner and somewhat different
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sun 07/02/23 3:49 am
A cascaded 12AX7 with a single tone control behind it would yield some serious preamp overdrive. But to have a good tone there would be some serious tweaking of voltages involved..
I would use a gain knob. Look at the parallel / cascade mod. You could do that to a Lite 2b and have a pretty awesome 3 knob tone machine.
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sun 07/02/23 3:51 am
It’s not the same as lowering the volume with the pot. You do have more volume travel and control in the first half of the sweep. But the tone will be cleaner and somewhat different
Voltage tweaks may also be needed to compensate for the different tube.
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

KagliostroAmpwww
Unrated

Post by KagliostroAmpwww »

Before to change the tube with a lower gain one you can give a try to a "Split Load" resistor

Change the Plate Resistor of the triode that is pushing too hard the following stage with two resistors connected in series (the sum of the values of the two must be equal to the Plate Resistor value),

The purpose is to feed the following stage from the junction of this two resistors instead that at the Plate of the tube (the value of this resistors must be set experimentally, as a begin you can try with 1/3 + 2/3 of the Plate Resistor value, the lower value resistor is to be connected to the plate, the higher value resistor is to be connected to the node that feeds the triode)

The purpose of this architecture is to maintain the stage to work as standard (same point of work or "tone" if you prefer) but feed the further stage with a lower signal

To try this mod is very simple and you require only some resistors as to try different values till you obtain the desired result

Some people use a pot instead than resistor to find easily the correct values of the resistors to be used, this till they find the values to be used, then swap the pot with resistors, but is a practice that is to be applied with a lot of attention, electrocution (turning the shaft of the pot) is easier than we can think, so if you use this method pay a lot of attention to what you are doing and rotate the pot shaft when power is OFF

K
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

I like both channels for different things. The normal channel is thick and a little bit dark when using the hi-input because this parallels the two triodes. If you plug into the lo input you get only one triode and that is a little brighter and less gainy. The lo input almost sounds a little like the tremolo channel.

The Tremolo channel uses only one triode for gain so it is a little brighter and chimey-er. Plus you can kick in the tremolo which is really nice.

I use an AB switch to choose which channel I'm using and a footswitch to turn on/off the tremolo. Then I place a Stamps Drive-o-matic pedal in front to add two levels of gain and a Source Audio Collider for some delay and reverb. All of this together is an awesome little rig with many great sounds. A second 18W would make it stereo which would be pretty awesome too. I'll have to try that...
IMG_7720.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com