Princeton Reverb clone advice

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Princeton Reverb clone advice

Post by Bieworm »

I understand the length of the clip perfectly. That Princeton Reverb is just a really worthwhile amp, especially when that reverb is tamed to have controllable properties, and not lose the level of useable reverb. Glad you’re enjoying this amp. You won’t ever regret building it. If you really want to get the maximum of joy out of it I suggest you score a celestion 12” Alnico cream. Believe me, it’s worth every penny in this amp! It turns the Princeton in a giggable amp for it can get pretty loud when asked for, and I mean at least deluxe reverb loud! Plus the tonal spectrum is beyond every experience you’ll ever have.
And it still is playable on low volume.. don’t forget you also have a low output input. And with the 12 inch it’s advisable to change the cathode bypass cap on V1 to 4.7uf.. or it’s too bass heavy.
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

foreverstrung
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by foreverstrung »

I understand the length of the clip perfectly. That Princeton Reverb is just a really worthwhile amp, especially when that reverb is tamed to have controllable properties, and not lose the level of useable reverb. Glad you’re enjoying this amp. You won’t ever regret building it. If you really want to get the maximum of joy out of it I suggest you score a celestion 12” Alnico cream. Believe me, it’s worth every penny in this amp! It turns the Princeton in a giggable amp for it can get pretty loud when asked for, and I mean at least deluxe reverb loud! Plus the tonal spectrum is beyond every experience you’ll ever have.
And it still is playable on low volume.. don’t forget you also have a low output input. And with the 12 inch it’s advisable to change the cathode bypass cap on V1 to 4.7uf.. or it’s too bass heavy.
I took both of these suggestions. I picked up a new Celestion Cream 12" speaker and I replaced that cap to a 4.7uF after you first suggested it a couple weeks ago. I couldn't really afford the speaker, but that's never stopped me before :wink: . Very happy with all of it.
Thx again
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Yes! That’s a killer combo now! As far as clean sounds can go the Princeton Reverb has no equal IMHO.
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Amp sounds great but are you allowed to talk like that on the 18watt forum bieworm?
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

chaliapin wrote:
Tue 08/15/23 4:23 am
Amp sounds great but are you allowed to talk like that on the 18watt forum bieworm?
This is the “that’s not 18Watt” forum😎
I said “as far as clean sounds go”. My 18 watt amps ain’t clean, but they can grind unlike any other amp.🤘😉
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Guitar amps "clean" sound should never actually be clean. So there's that. 😉
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Call me a heretic or an outlaw.. but there are situations where I want pristine clean🤠
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Tue 08/15/23 2:35 pm
Call me a heretic or an outlaw.. but there are situations where I want pristine clean🤠

🤮🤮🤮
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale