Is twisting AC wires necessary

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

mac dillard

Is twisting AC wires necessary

Post by mac dillard »

Going to test this practice. I’m about to finish a 18 watt JTM 45 build and the heater wires are run parallel instead of twisted as in a Solando build. We shall see
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Is twisting AC wires necessary

Post by JMPGuitars »

If you have something holding them tight so they can't move, then that's often fine. However, if they're not tightly stuck together, it won't work well, or won't be consistent. You could use 2 conductor / separately insulated wire - like many lamp cords - as long as they're rated above the voltages needed.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

mac dillard

Post by mac dillard »

I’m holding them together with zip ties. Plan to eventually glue them together with super glue. Just the heater wires are not twisted. All others are twisted. Also they are run over head instead off tucked in the corner.Been wanting to try this for some time and this build was a good time to do it. If I do it again I will use solid core wire instead of twisted.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

I wouldn't use super glue. You could use heat shrink, with or without adhesive built in. I personally wouldn't bother with any adhesives.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

mac dillard

Post by mac dillard »

you probably right to not use anything. I'll power up and see how it goes. Was gonna use gorilla super glue. it is rated to 220 degree F.
1 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Twisting is useful because it holds the wires tightly together and doesn't cost anything. The twist itself is of no benefit, compared to parallel wires. One thing I seldom see mentioned is that tucking the wires into a corner or against a conductive panel (like the chassis) can create an imbalance that can cause radiation from the wires to increase. I typically run them up above the rest of the wiring and then down onto the socket pins at each location.

Jack
2 x

mac dillard

Post by mac dillard »

finally got to fire the 18 watt JTM45 up. There is no hum that I can hear. So twist or not to twist as you please.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

mac dillard wrote:
Tue 09/05/23 4:50 pm
finally got to fire the 18 watt JTM45 up. There is no hum that I can hear. So twist or not to twist as you please.
That's not how it works. Twisted or not doesn't matter as long as the wires are secured together; we've stated this above. Giving generalized advice without enough information or context can lead to problems you don't want to be responsible for.

If there's nothing securing the wires, and you hear nothing today, don't be surprised tomorrow when you do.
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

mac dillard

Post by mac dillard »

Do believe that I posted above that I had them tied together with zip ties. The thing is that heater wires do not have to be twisted tightly together as has been stated by many. Believe I could find a post where you were telling a builder that. there are a lot of ways to skin a cat. I do not take kindly to a reply post like yours. Tell you what, I was off of this board for years. I'll just get off of it again. You have fun.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Please don't give advice without context, it's as simple as that. No offense intended.

And YES, heater wires need to be secured together. How that's done is up to the builder. The post you're referring to from me is likely a reference to separately insulated 2 conductor wire like lamp cords. They can't go anywhere, so they don't need to be twisted. Context always matters. We want users of this site to understand what they're reading, and get the best possible outcome from their amp builds.
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

It’s just some good advice and common sense. No need to argue about that. Josh is right. The amp might behave perfectly at this moment, but there is no way to assume it won’t change when you’re hauling the amp around. Better safe than sorry kinda situation. No pun intended
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

mac dillard

Post by mac dillard »

One more word on this subject then I am finished...Soldano SLO-100. Uses solid core wire run side by side and not even tied together.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

You're welcome to do as you please, except for spreading bad information. If you can't take constructive criticism like an adult, you don't need to be a part of the conversation. This site is here to help people. Your 1 amplifier is statistically irrelevant; having no trouble today is meaningless when 100 years of data gives us better information.

I don't understand why you're so offended by this.
3 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale