Homebrew Superlite II scratch build: Got a couple questions

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

mojoboldt
Unrated

Homebrew Superlite II scratch build: Got a couple questions

Post by mojoboldt »

amp3.jpg
amp2.jpg
amp1.jpg
Hey guys! LONG time lurker: First time poster here.
So, I recently built this amp using the Superlite II layout with the mosfet source follower. I love the amp and thinks it sounds amazing! I'm super excited!!
Well, I was re-reading some posts about the Superlite II schematic and now I see that folks on this site are saying that the 100 ohm resistors on the screens of the el84s should be replaced with 1k ohm resistors to increase tube life. I built mine with a 1k ohm resistor coming off the cap and then its splits to one 100 ohm resistor going to each of the el84s.

Dumb question: Do I simply replace the two 100 ohm resistors with two 1k ohms while still leaving the 1k ohm coming off the cap as it is?
Image[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Homebrew Superlite II scratch build: Got a couple questions

Post by Bieworm »

Why would you want to do that?. Just run 2 1k resistors from B+2 (2nd filter cap) like the schematic indicates. The idea behind this is that there should be a significant voltage difference between the plates and the screens (about 20V) to protect the tube to draw excess current. Ideally those resistors are 3 watts. In fact, 2 watts is better than 5 watts. This way you get some protection in case the tubes go bad, for the resistors will act like a fuse.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

mojoboldt wrote:
Sun 10/15/23 1:20 pm
I built mine with a 1k ohm resistor coming off the cap and then its splits to one 100 ohm resistor going to each of the el84s.
The way you described it is perfectly fine as long as the resistors are at least 2W.

If you want to consider any modifications, you should start by reviewing your voltages first and see if any tweaks are actually needed. If it sounds good, go play.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sun 10/15/23 3:03 pm
Why would you want to do that?
Look at some older schematics and you'll see what he's referring to. It's a larger resistance than your suggestion. His wiring: 1k to 100Ω to screen. Your suggestion was 1k to screen. That 100Ω gives a slight additional drop. Either method is valid.

The screen resistors, besides helping keep the screen voltage below the plate voltage (how much doesn't matter that much), also act as screen grid stopper resistors. This is why the screen resistors are supposed to be close to the tube. Using two 1k resistors at the socket, done. Use only one 1k resistor, then put the 100Ωs at the sockets.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

mojoboldt
Unrated

Post by mojoboldt »

Hey! Thanks Josh!
I checked the voltages as soon as I got it finished and they are in spec with the grids right at 20 volts below the plates.
I really appreciate your response. It sets my mind at ease as I play!
Thanks again.
Chris
1 x