unpleasant distortion on 18w lite - any idea?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Mauri

unpleasant distortion on 18w lite - any idea?

Post by Mauri »

Hi all,
a long time ago I built my first valve amp from the ampmaker.com schematics attached a long time ago. It was working fine back then, but then it remained unused for a couple of years. I have now fired it up again and it sounds terrible. I strummed a chord or 2 and recorded for reference. This was recorded with the volume at around 11 o'clock and the nasty distortion gets worse at higher volumes. I checked all the soldering, which is fine. Voltages look OK. I swapped all the valves. Nothing obviously wrong with the caps. So I am beginning to think it may be the OT, but before going ahead and investing in a replacement, I was wondering if anyone had heard something similar before and if they identified the issue/solution.
Thank you so much in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: unpleasant distortion on 18w lite - any idea?

Post by JMPGuitars »

It sounds like you need the Paul Ruby Mod. You can see it here in this schematic: files/JMPGuitars_18_Watt_Superlite_TMB_Schematic.pdf

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Mauri

Re: unpleasant distortion on 18w lite - any idea?

Post by Mauri »

Thank you for your reply. I'll try that out.
1 x