TubeTown JC18 - José/Cali mod ?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Tomten

TubeTown JC18 - José/Cali mod ?

Post by Tomten »

Hi

I am thinking about buying the JC18 kit from TubeTown, is it even possible to do some type of José/Cali mod on this amp to get it a little hotter than the original layout ? Yeah I have built amps before and I build my own pedals so I am more than well familiar with electronics in general.

It would be cool if this amp is possible to get to sound super hot, even though it´s only 18 watts.

Thanks guys ...
1 x

Fire18tone
Unrated

Re: TubeTown JC18 - José/Cali mod ?

Post by Fire18tone »

Hi Tomten
Short answer: Sure you can!
If we are talking about the basic 80s Cali style mods, like changing the cold clipper to a gain stage, and adding Jose style diode clipping before the tone stack.
If you want to push it further and add a gain stage you might as well do a scratch build instead of a kit.

I built a SLO style preamp into an 18 watt power amp with parts from Tube Town, including the same transformers that's part of that kit, turned out great!
Just go crazy :D and have fun
0 x

Crabman

Post by Crabman »

Check out the Headfirst Amplification channel on YouTube if you are interested in implementing the Jose diode clipping mod to Marshall type amps. Jason Tong does a great job of showing where to put it together with a schematic. I think it's in a number of different videos but if you look for "Marshall JCM800 2204 - Headfirst Mods" you will find the schematic for his take on the Jose mod at the 38 minute mark.
0 x

Crabman

Post by Crabman »

Here is a link to a video at Headfirst Amps that is dedicated to
José Zener Diode clipping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GKnchp ... lification

Includes examples using a scope to show difference between symmetric vs. asymmetric clipping with zener diodes.
0 x