Mids in Normal Channel

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Hiwatt5
Unrated

Mids in Normal Channel

Post by Hiwatt5 »

Any options to reduce the mids in the normal channel of a TMB? Playing my les paul the mids are a bit congested, more so if I run an overdrive in that channel. I dropped the cathode bypass cap to 2 uF, which helps, but doesn't completely solve the issue.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Mids in Normal Channel

Post by Bieworm »

Which speaker is involved? A V30 would not help for instance
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Hiwatt5
Unrated

Post by Hiwatt5 »

I have a 20 watt greenback. Sounds great on the TMB channel. The normal channel has a thick low mid sound that I don't like. I built a tweed princeton and it has the same mid heavy sound.

BTW - I've tried a V30 and it sounds awesome for distorted tone, but the cleans are a bit too bright. I may put it back in to remind myself how it sounds.

I found a mod for the tweed princeton/harvard vol./tone control set that turns the tone control into a mid control so you can dial back the mids and the bass and treble stay constant. Works really well. I'm thinking of trying it on my 18 watt normal channel.

Here is a link to the mod: https://guitar.com/features/opinion-ana ... ard-clone/
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I don't know which schematic you followed, but there are 2 known varieties of the tone control on the normal channel. One is the real classic 18W type, the other is the modern classic type. The latter is copied from the tremolo channel. This is preferred by many over the real classic tone control. You might wanna look into that one too.
You're right about the V30 being a nice speaker for the 18W. I had that too once and I liked it. But to me the best sound is the early 70's G12H30, although that is certainly personal taste. Josh prefers the Blackhawk. I don't know how that one sounds and I'm afraid to try it.. ending up spending another 300€ on a stupid speaker. The greenback is the safe path, both in tone and budget. It sounds good, but to me it lacks the little bit of magic that the G12H30 delivers. It might be mojo, but let's not get into that again :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Hiwatt5
Unrated

Post by Hiwatt5 »

I built the Trinity SIII. The normal channel is supposed to be like the tremolo channel of the original 1974, but compared to the Modern Classic it seems to have two (2) .0047uf caps in series (instead of just one (1) .0047uf cap) off pin 6 of V1. Not sure what difference that makes?
SIII Normal Channel Schematic.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote: ↑
Fri 03/15/24 1:41 am
Josh prefers the Blackhawk. I don't know how that one sounds and I'm afraid to try it.. ending up spending another 300€ on a stupid speaker.
Too bad we're not neighbors. I bet you'd love that speaker. πŸ˜‰

Hiwatt5 wrote: ↑
Fri 03/15/24 3:16 pm
I built the Trinity SIII. The normal channel is supposed to be like the tremolo channel of the original 1974, but compared to the Modern Classic it seems to have two (2) .0047uf caps in series (instead of just one (1) .0047uf cap) off pin 6 of V1. Not sure what difference that makes?
Series capacitance vs. parallel capacitance is something you should study. However, I believe you're reading the schematics incorrectly. They both have two caps with a resistor to ground between them, but they're drawn differently.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook Β· Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote: ↑
Fri 03/15/24 3:27 pm
Fri 03/15/24 1:41 am
Josh prefers the Blackhawk. I don't know how that one sounds and I'm afraid to try it.. ending up spending another 300€ on a stupid speaker.
Too bad we're not neighbors. I bet you'd love that speaker. πŸ˜‰
I have no doubts about that. And neighbors? I can almost smell your grill when seeing your insta posts on meat burningπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Sat 03/16/24 8:43 am
I have no doubts about that. And neighbors? I can almost smell your grill when seeing your insta posts on meat burningπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
I just posted this for you. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook Β· Instagram
Items for Sale