New changes to my amp

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Deadbeat2

New changes to my amp

Post by Deadbeat2 »

Well, I must say that my amp sounds wonderful now. I was never that happy with my 18 watt before, it was always to "sizzley" and sounded bad with any pedals, they just made it more buzzy. I have basically followed the newly discovered changes. Even after I rewired the amp following the new layout, I was not totally satisfied. See, when I built the amp originally I read that many people were red-plating and read that someone suggested a 220 ohm cathode resistor for the EL84's. Well, lately I noticed most people seemed to be using either the stock 125 ohm or a 150 ohm. I could not find a 125 ohm 5W so I installed a 150 ohm 5W. I don't know if it was just the bias resistor or a combination of new changes and bias but this amp is bad to the bone. I did find a 120 ohm 5W resistor. Has anyone tried this? I know 5 ohms isn't very much difference so with my new JJ EL84's I bet it would be fine. What do you think? Also, I did install a 47k tail resistor but I did not notice a huge difference, just a tad more volume. BTW, I want to thank all of you guys who have always responded with great info and help. THIS IS A GREAT GROUP OF PEOPLE! Bruce J.
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Bruce, I would suggest that you measure the 125ohm resistor.. Well more so the lower rating resistors.. i found alot of them may measure 119ohm or whatever.. It gets a little more critical than the 150 ohm..either way on that one of being off a little,it wouldn't make that much of a difference..But when you get down to 125 or 120..then its best to check them,or measure them.. Most of us if you use good tubes, you can use the 125 or 130 ohm..and 150.. Its just they are run hot,and may not last as long,using the 125 ohm.. But the EL84s aren't that expensive,and change them more often..

Glad the amp is sounding much better..

Richie
0 x