Step up Transformer ?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Aldo

Step up Transformer ?

Post by Aldo »

Hello - First Post - I recently purchased a 1968 10W Chassis. I intend on leaving this amp stock. It runs on 220 so I will need a step-up transformer to run it. The previous owner used a Philmore ST-1000 step-up transformer. The Philmore step-up is avaiable in 50W, 100W, 200W, 300W, 500W, 750W, and 1000W versions. What version of this transformer will I need? Can the transformer be mounted in the cabinet? Also I own several large Marshall Amps. Is the 10W ammenable to having it's channels jumpered ala 50W, 100W, 59 Bassman Amps? Thanks.
0 x

wilko

Post by wilko »

Ah, you got that chassis. I just got that other 10 watt with the white/cane grill.
I bought one of these online for $12.90 plus shipping:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdet ... er=120-805

About the channel jumpering. Yes, it works well.
0 x

gtrmac

Post by gtrmac »

I think you should get a 300 watt transformer. I assume that the amp uses a 1 amp fuse so the maximum power consumption is 1 (amp) X 220 (volts) equals 220 watts.

Yeah, tube amps are very inefficient, 220 watts in and 10 watts out! I guess most of the lost power is turned into heat.
0 x

loverocker
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by loverocker »

Valves are bad, but not that bad! :) Typically a 50W Marshall consumes something like 160W at full tilt, so the 18W should be OK with a 100W transformer...

...But - if the cost isn't much more, I'd suggest opting for a bigger one. It'll run cooler and if you decide to get a more powerful UK/European amp later, you can use it with that.
0 x

wilko

Post by wilko »

FWIW, the 10-watt rear plate claims that it draws 125 watts.
0 x