Beginning the journey . . .

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Clarke

Beginning the journey . . .

Post by Clarke »

This new forum is great! A vast improvement.

I've been lurking on the Yahoo! group for a while now but haven't posted. I haven't had anything to post . . .

. . . until now.

Just this weekend I started amassing the materials for my first amp-building project, which will be a "Lite II" 1x12 combo with a built-in switchable MASS motor attenuator. So far I have the wood (3/4" birch plywood that I've rough-cut already), a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker, and an assortment of cab parts (T-nuts, handles, corners, grille, etc.) from Parts Express. This amp will have a VERY non-traditional physical configuration! I'm planning on mounting the chassis right on top, covered by one of those perforated steel Hammond cages. Yeah, maybe it will be ugly, but it will be all mine!

For fun, I'll post photos and updates as things proceed (but I imagine this will be a pretty long-term weekend project, since I'm a terrible woodworker and I have a difficult time tolerating imperfections).

I don't have any of the electronics or chassis parts yet, but I'll probably start ordering that stuff pretty soon. I have an EE background so I'm less worried about this aspect.

I'm looking forward to having some fun with this!

I'd love to hear what other survivors of first-time cabinet-building (and amp-building) experiences have to say.

-C
0 x

Gabi
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by Gabi »

Clark!

I am curious of the final look! Send in picture when you are done and I'll make an album for you on the Gallery page...
I see you are a PartsExpress guy -- by your avatar :mrgreen:

There were people on the group who made the amp having only some basic woodworking skills and they did a great job.

Are you going to tolex the cab? That was my biggest challenge on this project.

You'll definitely enjoy the project... Post questions if you need help.

Gabi.
0 x

Clarke

Post by Clarke »

Heh. Actually, I "borrowed" my avatar from the Torres Engineering web site -- but who knows where THEY got it! :D That store is local to me, and I'm going to drop in soon and see what kind of goodies they have.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not planning on tolexing this first attempt; I'm probably going to use that paint-on textured rubberizing coating commonly used on tools, truck beds, etc. I've had good luck working with that stuff in the past.

I'm trying hard not to bite off more than I can chew here!

-C
0 x

Gabi
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by Gabi »

Clark,

Your idea with the rubberized coating sounds very interesting!
Definitely need to post pics!

gabi.
0 x

MurkyMark

first-ever cabinets

Post by MurkyMark »

Clarke wrote:Torres Engineering ... is local to me, and I'm going to drop in soon and see what kind of goodies they have.
How local? – I'm in the same town (San Mateo, CA). It's a small shop and Dan T. is basically retired, but he's saved me several last-minute mail orders. Not a huge inventory, but appropriate for DIY tubeheads. His prices are mostly competitive, too (especially if you pay in cash at the shop :wink: ).

San Mateo Electronics (42nd Ave @ El Camino) has a more general inventory that includes nice things like solder, electronics tools (no bargains), wire, project boxes, 450V electrolytics (a few values) and 2-5 piece packs of NTE flameproof metal film 5% or better, 1/8W to 2W resistors in just about every value ever used for $1.30 (my personal favorite – I bought 2W 2-packs of .10, .15, .22, .27 and .33 ohms just yesterday!).

Tell us more about this rubber coating...
0 x

Clarke

Post by Clarke »

Foster City, so right across the freeway!

Thanks for the tip on San Mateo Electronics; I'll check them out. Back in the day I used to buy parts at Fry's, but I understand they can't be bothered to stock components any more. And I try to avoid them anyway.

I've also been referred to Anchor Electronics in Santa Clara. Between these two, I should be all set for components. I prefer retail to mail-order for two reasons -- to support local businesses (when possible) and because I'm an instant-gratification kind of guy. Probably more of the latter. :)

I'll definitely fill you in on how the rubber coating works out, but it will probably be a couple more weeks (at least!) before I get to that stage.

-C
0 x

Andy

Re: first-ever cabinets

Post by Andy »

MurkyMark wrote:How local? ? I'm in the same town (San Mateo, CA). It's a small shop and Dan T. is basically retired
Really? Since when? I was in Dan's shop, oh, about two months ago, speaking to Jeff (who does mostly guitar work). I got no hint or sense that Dan was or is retiring. Is this new?

Like you, I use Dan's shop as a fallback if there's a part I need but don't have (often high voltage electrolytics) and Fry's doesn't have it or Halted doesn't have it.

BTW, I can recommend Halted Specialties (HSC), in Sunnyvale, if you're near the south bay. I've bought quite a lot of resistors and other odds and ends there. It's an interesting place just to browse. I especially like all the obsolete test equipment they get in.
0 x

Andy

Post by Andy »

Clarke wrote:I've also been referred to Anchor Electronics in Santa Clara.
Anchor's okay, but it's fairly small and geared more toward DIY computer needs. I've gotten some stuff there, mostly resistors. Also, watch their hours. If you're making a special trip there, call to make sure they're open. They're just a short drive for me, so it's no big, but I don't like to drive 20+ miles and find a place closed.
0 x

MurkyMark

Post by MurkyMark »

Fry's is just about useless for amp parts. I haven't heard of Anchor, but I'm not really into taking a 40-minute ride to look for parts...
0 x

MurkyMark

Re: first-ever cabinets

Post by MurkyMark »

Dan may not actually be retired, but he seems to be at the shop a lot less than he was a few years ago.

Halted is an interesting place to spend an hour or two if you're in the vicinity. I picked up some good 7-pin mini sockets there (for 6AU6s) a while back, and they even had some funky gear with nixies in it...
0 x

Clarke

Post by Clarke »

Ah, right, Halted. I haven't been there in a few years. I should check there too.

I work in the South Bay so these places aren't very out-of-the-way for me.

-C
0 x