240V PT for minimalist 18watt?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

amigamatt

240V PT for minimalist 18watt?

Post by amigamatt »

does anyone know of a suitable transformer for the minimalist (SS rectifier) 18watt circuit that will work in the UK? the scematic lists the Hammond 125E but Hammond only make this in 120V so I'm kinda stuck. Being a complete newbie to valve amp building (but not electronics) I'm not sure how close to the specs of the 125E I should stay. It has a 215V secondary and a 6.3V secondary but I cannot find any other transformer with this configuration. Also, I need something relatively cheap as I on a budget, so no pricey custom jobs please!!

thanks,
Matt
0 x

amigamatt

Post by amigamatt »

oops I said 125E, I meant 261M6

The closest I've got was 240V secondary but with only 100mA, the 261M6 is rated at 269mA
0 x

markh
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by markh »

That's a bit light, you'd be better off with at least 120mA. The 240 volts would be fine.

--mark
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

The Heyboer trannys that I sell for the 18W project have 240VAC primaries. They are also priced competitively with the other brands. I can ship to the UK for reasonable prices too. Email me privately for more info.

Thanks,
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

If you're on a really tight budget, try this supplier in Germany for your PT - www.die-wuestens.de/engindex.htm

I bought a fairly beefy 240-0-240V PT from him for 20 Euros + 5 Euros postage, which is around $25 or £18 all in. Delivery to the UK was about three days. So while not strictly a UK supplier, he's pretty much as good as, or better. SS-rectified 240-0-240V provides around 340V DC, which is fine for an 18watter. Then use the pennies you save to buy one of Graydon's Heyboer OTs, which have a tone that really rocks. The Hammond 125E is also pretty good, but nothing beats those Heyboers.

BTW I maintain a thread on the AX84 site listing useful component suppliers in the UK - http://www.ax84.com/bbs/dm.code?id=46124
0 x