A 36 Watter made over 40 years ago by Selmer !!!

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

A 36 Watter made over 40 years ago by Selmer !!!

Post by stevesuk »

I just won a pair of vintage PA column speakers of fleabay and dug around on the net. It seems they were paired with a strange contraption which was a 4 X EL84 stereo 36 watter !! it also included a tape echo and supplied 18/20w per speaker. Is there anything that hasn't been done before ?
I don't think I have much chance of ever reuniting the 1964 amp with the 1964 speakers. Thay even have a bit of crocodile skin on the sides and clamp face to face for transit.
Pics attached.

Steve UK
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

I've never seen one of these before - thanks! The columns were common enough, but the amp - well, the catalogue price says it all - my father was making about £20 a week in 1964, and for £200 you could buy a terraced house in the North. I've heard of the Swissecho - the echo was good, but the tapes were a pain to change when they broke, and they were expensive, I was told - never realised you had to buy the amp as well.

Some of the Selmers have a big reputation, particularly the Fenton-Weill designs - perhaps this is one.

And while I remember to mention it, try the HH speakers in that new build IF it is apparent they are not designed for front loading - no gasket on the back.
0 x

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

Dotfret,
Good idea, and I do have a pair of HH speakers, they need reconing and they were back mounted at one point in their life. but I was planning to recone them one day anyway. They are fairly shallow compared to Celestions. I just wonder how much the tone will change.
Cheers
Steve UK
0 x