Reissue grillcloth from Mojo -- does it match the 1974x RI?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

nigelb
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nigelb »

I have some of this stuff. It does not seem to have so much of the variation in shades of grey that the Marshall re-issue has. You can see the variation of grey shades here

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp ... Type=SEEIT

The grey of this one is much the same all over with only very tiny variations - hope you can see what I mean. Its nice but not quite the same.
0 x

nigelb
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nigelb »

I haven't used it yet, I just have a few yards in stock in case someone chooses that grillecloth option. I intend to use it on one of three demo 18 watters that I will be building, but that is 3-4 weeks away.

Nigel
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

Look at the red combo on my homepage. That has Marshall BB reissue grill cloth. That stuff has been around for a long time. It isn't anything like the original BB grill cloth but it is a nice cloth in its own right. It is very strong, and stiff and provides much protection to the speakers. It looks good too.

http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~graydon/18wattgds.html

HTH
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

kd
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by kd »

That really is a good looking tolex, I'm also interested in where you got it?

Thanks,
Ken
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

The 4x12s look like checkerboard not bluesbreaker cloth. I think Marshall said they use substite cloths to the old ones because of fireproofing needs.
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

I haven't seen the new HW reissues up close so I can't say for sure if they use the BB RI grill cloth. In the photos you show, the distance to the subject is quite a bit different than in my closeup so it is hard to compare to the photo of my amp. Based on the fact that they made the Offset RI grill cloth a few years ago, I'd guess they have another cloth for the new HW RI amps that may be a cross between the BB RI and the Offset RI cloths.

That red lizard tolex is no longer available as far as I know. It was used by Fender on some amps a few years ago. I had just enough to do my amp and Jeff had just enough to do one more 2-12 combo like my 2-10 but that is all I've ever seen. Sorry.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com