Considering the journey....,

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

BirdZeye

Considering the journey....,

Post by BirdZeye »

I have been peeking around the web for DIY tube amps for awhile and
this looks like the place to be. I have seen references in the FAQ section
to Kits @ Graydon. (I'll still need to check that out)
I also saw a note stating that "Building an 18 watt clone from scratch is not that expensive"
Any rough idea on what just the guts cost? (everything but the cab and speaker(s))

Thanks!

Tom
0 x

Gabi
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by Gabi »

Hi Tom...

Well, there are many ways to go and you'll have to consider the one that fits your needs (and pocket)...

There are people here (me included) who brought up this amp from scratch (cab, chassis, faceplates, etc.)... I would say a little more work to do, but this way the amp becomes more personal.

After doing one this way, and indeed having fun building it, next time I would just order the kit from Graydon (has multiple kits versions), and a cab from Jeff Swanson (awsome cabinets that fit Graydon's kits). It's much simpler this way.

Expensive? Hmm... I start doubting that the tube amp DIY field has the word "cheap" in the vocabulary...
Even if you would gather all the parts or build them yourself, embrace for the fact that you are going to spend a couple of hundreds not to speak about the time put in to build it...

The final conclusion? Eather way building this amp is worth the time/$$$ put in. That's why it gathered such a DIY army around it.

So, if you have a basement, some basic tools, a voltmeter, soldering gun, some basic electricity notions, you've landed on the right planet :mrgreen:

Good luck, and keep us posted with your progress!

Gabi.
0 x

MurkyMark

kits vs. scratch

Post by MurkyMark »

I prefer building as much from scratch as is practical. I get a lot more out it of that way, in terms of the personal satisfaction of solving the problems that crop up and what I learn along the way. Along the same lines, I'm not really into cloning - I see no reason why something I've built should look like somebody else made it! In fact, I prefer unique, when possible:

What I consider practical varies from project to project - take a peek at my site and you'll see what I mean, I think.

I still haven't built an 18W, but when I do (it's in my top 3 for future projects) it definitely won't look like a Marshall, and I probably won't be able to resist messing with the circuit a bit, too...
0 x

BirdZeye

Post by BirdZeye »

Mark
The Verberator looks and sounds sweet. Nice Job!
Nice Site.

Gabi
Thanks for the guidance and recommendations about the kits!
I keep jumping the fence on whether to go kit or solo. I am
leaning toward the solo route. Although the chassis kit looks
inviting..., maybe even the tweed cab from Jeff? Still not
decided, but I want to have fun building it at any rate!

It seems I have met the basic requirements to have landed on this fine
planet! I intend to enjoy it!

Thanks Again!

Tom
0 x

MurkyMark

Post by MurkyMark »

If you decide to wing it (as opposed to a kit), I've got some links at my site that should help you find the parts: http://www.harmonicappliances.com/links.html
0 x

BirdZeye

Post by BirdZeye »

I have decided to wing it. Maybe a chassis kit from Graydon though?
I want the finished product to look nice and I don't really want to mess with
drilling out the chassis.

I also liked your Decimator that you referred to in Gabi's thread re: his quest for a headphone amp.
I have a Yamaha solid state practice amp with an 8" speaker. Maybe your Decimator circuit or something of similar scale would give me a good reason to "Decimate" :mrgreen: the amp and make it a baby tube amp!

I will continue to use your site links to research / learn.

Thanks Mark,

Bird
0 x

MurkyMark

Post by MurkyMark »

Aw, shucks ... if a lot of people hadn't shared with me I never would have gotten this amp-building disease, and I feel compelled to give something back. My personal 'mission' is building amps that are not copies of anything else out there, without being shy about cutting and pasting as a way of overcoming my being "electronics impaired" (while still trying to learn it!).

Chassis work isn't hard, but avoiding it on your first build will save you some pain, and almost certainly cash (unless your toolbox is already pretty well equipped). Definitely a good idea to at least purchase the box you want, and if you're following a known good layout you might as well get it pre-drilled / -punched.

And you already know where to go to ask for help on the rest...

The Decimator can get quite loud, but not cleanly. The gain & volume can be adjusted to just start breaking up or be very 'gainy' at a level that's comfortable for me with the kids asleep on the other end of the house. Lately I've been playing it through a closed-back 2x8 cab I just built ( http://www.harmonicappliances.com/image ... guitar.jpg ) and I don't even miss my Verberator!
0 x