single 12" final concensus

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

OldCrow

single 12" final concensus

Post by OldCrow »

I've plowed through the postings and read quite a few posts by those who were planning on trying various spkrs. in an open back single 12" cab. Have you arrived at any conclusions? Green back?, Blue Dog? G12's?... :?
0 x

Wannatone
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Wannatone »

OldCrow,

Yeah! Simply a blue Celestion G12 AlNiCo!
Well, there is something even better... a 2x12 w/ Blue´s. :D

Adrian
0 x

dboul
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by dboul »

Hi Old Crow, welcome.

It's really a personal thing. If I was forced to choose, I would go with a real Celestion Alnico Blue also. It's a really good match in my opinion. The Weber is really nice, but not quite as alive and rich as the Celestion.

The G12H & M are also really nice and they both mix well with the Blue. If price is not an issue, go with the Blue. If money is not flowing, I really like the G12H-30Anniversary, they're about $105 if you look around. The regular vintage 30 is a little flat for my taste. I think the 18 watt doesn't push it hard enough.

Again it's really personal. These are just my experiences. Play around and find what you like. I'm certainly not an expert. I've done the "speaker roulette" now on two builds and I always come back to the Blue and the G12H Anniversary.

Have fun!
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Wannatone wrote:Well, there is something even better... a 2x12 w/ Blue´s.
Or perhaps even better a 2X12 with one Blue G12 and one G12H. But that's a digression from your question.

If you could only chose one speaker, go for the Celestion Blue, if you can afford the price. If not and/or if you prefer a darker sound get yourself a G12H-30. I have a vintage G12H in my 1X12 combo and that speaker really rocks!
0 x

OldCrow

Post by OldCrow »

Thanks guys. I do like a darker tone, which is why I'm buying an 18 watt amp from Ron Ott and selling my Fenders and Traynor. I also like to play more on the clean side. I played through a Ron Ott w/ 2 x 12" 70's H30's and they sounded increadible 8) .
I think I'll lean toward the r.i. H-30, unless I find an old one, but I'd still like to hear more opinions.
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

The H are great speakers.. and i just got a new price sheet on the blues.. and they have went up 'again" As good a speaker as it is.. I believe the blues are overpriced. But everyone likes different things.
The greenback and G12H are fine,along with a few others out there that also sound great..
But Marshall and Celestion seem to go together..lol
Richie
0 x

Alex_Law

Post by Alex_Law »

For a single 12", I've been impressed with the 35W (doped) AlNiCo Blue Dog I put in my wife's cab. I think it sounds a lot like the Celestion Blue speakers in my combo.

If I didn't know what was in my combo, I'd probably like the Blue Dog just as well, but I wouldn't be honest if I didn't acknowledge the mojo placebo spell I'm under with those Blues... ;)

Alex
0 x

myamp
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by myamp »

Plexi what is the new price going to be for the G12 blue. I see they are up to a little over 200 now is that right?
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

i just did some searching, and looks like over 300.00 now..
Where did you find them for little over 200.00?
Unless they buy them 1000, at a time to get a huge price break..lol

The Balls amp site has some good info on the speakers he tried..
And i agree..almost afraid to say anything about the celestion blues..lol
or lets say for the price..i just don't hear it..

http://www.ballsamps.com/
wonder when we will see the tonequest report..??

Since we are talking single 12.. still i like the G12H..

Richie
0 x

OldCrow

Post by OldCrow »

Well that does it. I've made up my mind. Ron just happened to have a complete amp w/ ef-86 ch. Swanson cab. and a G12H. I bet you can all guess the rest. :D Thanks guys.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Sounds like a beautiful amp....
0 x