Gimme A Break!!!

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Guitar_Dude

Gimme A Break!!!

Post by Guitar_Dude »

Hey,
I was hoping someone out there might have a few tips for me. You see, recently I've become frustrated at the fact that I don't have the necessary skills to work with any circut that doesn't run off a 9V battery. Over the last year I've been launched into the world of electronics and been pleasantly suprised at what I'm capable of.

Over the last year I took a course in electronics at High School. It dealt with all the basics ("This is a resistor", "This is a capacitor" etc, etc.) and I had the oppertunity to make a number of low-voltage circuts. Throughout this past year I've made numerous guitar pedals with the aid of a schematic and a layout diagram and, while some may not have worked, I feel I'm ready to advance to the 'next step'.

Basically what I want to do is make a solid-state guitar amp that runs off of the mains, but to do this I need a few things.

First of all I need some kind of resource that will tell me all the safety procedures I need to know in order to work with lethal voltages. Unfortunately there are very few people in New Zealand who are knowledgable about guitar amps and their characteristics. I assume there must be an in-depth site on the internet that will tell me what I need to know.

Secondly I need a project that has all the information I need in order to make the amp. I was thinking I would make, say, a 50-100w solid-state amp because they have no output transformer and no tubes to mess around with. I need a schematic and a layout/PCB diagram that will show me where all the parts go and maybe even a step-by-step guide (Not because I'm inept, but because I don't want to **** up!). The amp doesn't have to be complicated, just a volume and a tone control would be fine, only one channel, no effects loop...The only thing I need is an 8-ohm speaker jack output (Keep in mind that it's impossible to find out-of-the-ordinary parts in NZ, it's a nightmare finding certain semiconductors)

As I've said before, this project is not intended to be ultra-high fidelity, I'm not intending on even using it, all it is is a builing block. My ultimate goal is to be able to safely and confidently make 100% valve amps, I'm just in one of those situations where you've gotta crawl before you can walk.

Cheers
Tim

PS: If there is ANYONE in Christchurch, New Zealand who is willing to give me a hand PLEASE e-mail me!
0 x

ampkits
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ampkits »

Hi,

I dont think I have seen much solid state guitar amp projects.

BUT there are tons of Hi fi solid state projects. Some of the principles would be the same, I guess.

You said you need to crawl before you walk.

Valves came first before transistors.

Hence, you need to work on valve amps first then only solid state.

;)

Thanks!

Nik
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Here's the thing. Valve amps are far simpler in their design and construction than equivalent transistor amps. Not having an OT also compounds the complexity. And valve amps are usually a lot easier to debug when you've built them too. If you want a very easy starting point, either build a valve-based effects pedal, such as the McTube, or else a *very* simple amplifier, such as the AX84 P1 - http://www.ax84.com/p1.html It's only got two valves. There are a few simple precautions to follow so you don't hurt yourself with the voltages, and you will learn a lot and be amazed at what you can do, as well as the phenomenal sound you get! There are several New Zealanders also hang out on the AX84 BBS who can help you. Then you can move onto the 18W and other bigger amps. Also BTW valve amps sound a *lot* louder watt for watt, than solid state ones. You won't need 50W or a 100W unless you are planning to play some big venues, and without using any PA.
0 x

Dai
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Dai »

Simcha Delft of OEI transformers is in NZ. I think he offers some lower watt OTs (or at least used to on the OEI site).

http://www.obsoleteelectronics.com/index.htm
0 x