Mark Durham Memorial 18watt Raffle

In memory of Mark

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Graydon

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

bender,

Just shot you an email. I hope it didn't get filtered.

dartanion69 at yahoo dot com
0 x

billv
Poster Child

Post by billv »

Received and thanks. I'm fairly certain that my personal email account is not overly filtered :D

That said, the official email address will have an autoresponder, assuming that the hosting service will provide it. If not, I'll figure something else out.

(Edit: btw, I'll be offline for awhile but back later this afternoon)
0 x

mobisimo
Unrated

Post by mobisimo »

I just got a bunch of vintage CC resistors in assorted values that I would certainly be willing to donate to the cause. Let me know what values and quantities are needed and I'll ship them along to those in charge of the build.
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

mobisimo wrote:I just got a bunch of vintage CC resistors in assorted values that I would certainly be willing to donate to the cause. Let me know what values and quantities are needed and I'll ship them along to those in charge of the build.
Thanks a bunch.

We are working out the details now, so we will let you know about where to send stuff.
0 x

sgtoverdrive
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by sgtoverdrive »

someone tell sgt overdrive where to send the glass...!!! ive got the best on hold for this build.i insist no jjs are goin in .if it isnt british or german it shouldnt be used .i think mark would like that.the doors of valhalla open wide for mark ! how can the old sgt get in there if he dont supply the glass.the more i learn about this guy the more i believe we are at great loss here.sgt od
0 x

billv
Poster Child

Post by billv »

I'm thinking we'll have this organized fairly shortly.

Got a pair of Polams set aside. Not DE or GB of course, what do you think? I'm for the very best going into these amps as well.
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

I think those folks who have offered up their JJs should still be allowed to donate them. We'll just put those in care packages/secondary raffle prizes.
0 x

EBE
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by EBE »

dartanion wrote:I think those folks who have offered up their JJs should still be allowed to donate them. We'll just put those in care packages/secondary raffle prizes.
I will throw in a universal single rib turret board or eyelet board for a bonus prize if one is not needed for the actual amp(s).

Norm
0 x

Trout
_

Post by Trout »

dartanion wrote:I think those folks who have offered up their JJs should still be allowed to donate them. We'll just put those in care packages/secondary raffle prizes.

That's Fine with me, I just wanted to be sure the tubes were covered when I offered up the JJ's so quick :D
Though, IMHO, I prefer to see amps optimized for new production valves.
Seeing as they are now in abundance and can now be purchased at about any ole Mom N Pop shop. NOS tubes are rapidly becoming an expensive exhaustible commodity.

Drop me an email where & when to send, I am in even if its the secondary care/prize package.
Trout
0 x

Blewsbreaker
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Blewsbreaker »

I have a NOS 16/32uf filter cap made by RS to donate....
0 x

NOSMullard

Post by NOSMullard »

I was really upset to hear about this tragedy even though I have never met or spoken to Mark. I've been reading the boards for months and know that he was always there to help everyone out and it has made me feel so wonderful to know what great people are here in this community, to have set this up so quickly and to see how generous you all really are. I wish I was in a place to contribute more (im a college student) but I will contribute all i can when it comes to buying raffle tickets. God Bless you all and Im sure Mark is smiling down on his great friends from 18watt.
0 x

Coco
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Coco »

The transformers I use now were basically Mark's design based on the originals. It might be fitting to put a set of these into the amp since he did so much work on the original concept.
I would be happy to donate a set.
0 x
coco

ctams
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ctams »

Trout wrote:
We could easily generate a nice sum from the sale of raffle tickets for the chance to win this amp, or do a silent auction or something.
Just a few thoughts,, Please do not shoot me!

Though more complicated, I like the Raffle ticket idea the best.
My principle reason is simply this. There are thousands of members and guests that visit here every week. If its is a ticket affair, I feel more guys will anti up for a $5.00 or $10.00 ticket Vs the few that can cough up big bucks on a silent bid. This gives everyone a more even chance on winning a very special item.

I fear logistics would also be a nightmare either way, But even more so if it is limited to just 18W members. Once word gets around, there will be a lot of guys lining up for a shot at an 18Wer.

Lets do the build, Get Photo documentation on it, Make a builder & contributor list and put it on a cute certificate that goes with them amp.

Set a total maximum number on tickets of say 2500@ $5.00ea tickets. & a Drawing date of XX/XX/06
Give it enough time to sell out if possible.
Then, Announce the Raffle, Spread the word everywhere !! Notify every guitarist online forum we can, And go for the gold!!

If we even sell 1/4th of that, The family will have one sizable sum.

Other Ideas are most certainly welcome!

Trout
I think this is a great idea.
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

Guys,

Without going into any detail, I've found Mark's family needs all the $$ we can muster. I challenge everyone here to think of ways (that would be outside the box for all you biz types) to maximize the amount of money we can raise for them. I want to see a minimum of $50K for all our efforts here. This is the internet. We can pull it off.

We have a couple of big ticket items offered up. Would it be better to have 3 raffles with 1 big prize each and a half dozen consolation prizes per raffle or one big raffle with 3 big prizes and 3 dozen consolation prizes? Which do you think would generate the most revenue?

Any thoughts are welcome. Please keep them coming.

And please, please, please, hit that PayPal button in the upper left hand corner of the web site. If you can only contribute $5 or $10 it will make a difference. Heck, if you can contribute $1 it will make a difference. Hit that freakin' button for cryin' out loud!

If not for Mark, we probably would not all be here shooting the breeze about amps and fiddles and what-the-heck-ever! If this site has ever brought a smile to your face, hit that button for a dollar or two!

There are several thousand members of this board. If we all skip a Big Mac for lunch, we can raise several thousand dollars for Mark's family. They need your dollar way more than you do!

Yes, I'm pimpin' but I'm shameless about it. Mark rocked! Sheri rocks! Jessica rocks! Marisa rocks! What do you do?!
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

sgtoverdrive
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by sgtoverdrive »

im very curious to know what mark intended on doing with some tubes i located for him.6dz7 designation i believe, what it was, basically was two el 84s in one bottle .he also was buying up every 6gk6 he could lay hands on.this is a 6bq5 with differnt pinouts.anyone ever discuss this with him? where do i see the layout for the amp ,just curious. also i think its a great thing yall is doin.any of us should be so lucky to have people that care so much .there are so many that dont.it even gives some hope that the world hasnt gone all the way bad.sgtod
0 x

sgtoverdrive
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by sgtoverdrive »

s2 i would be happy to see if metro amps is interested in this cause ,and what can be done.t
0 x

markh
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by markh »

So, I'm confused (and probably not the only one) -- we've had lots of volunteers -- who's going to build what?

Graydon, 18watt is your baby, we're gonna have to throw the bomb in your court (how that for mixing metaphors?) and ask you to make some executive decisions...

I suggest you select one or two (or three?) builders and task them with soliciting/gathering the parts needed. I'll put in one vote for S2, as he knew Mark better than many of us.

--mark h
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

I think to make the most cash in the easiest way would be to have one very large raffle and market it extensively. I'm sure we could do the ebay thing, use our internal connections in the business world, craigslist the raffle, myspace the raffle, you name it. We already have many thousands of dollars worth of goods offered up, so drawing a number of names for the number of prizes, electronically at random, should be trivial. We just need to sell as many tickets as possible.
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

Mark,

How about you build one? I'm sure you are a much better builder than I and you actually knew Mark. How about the Original 18watt 212 combo.

S2- Vajra 18watt head

Brown-note - how about a LiteIIb

Me - I'll make the head cab for the JTM45 & can build something else depending on what all parts are donated. Maybe a matching speaker cab for the JTM45, and cab for the parts build (if there is enough parts to do this).

Bender,

Is it possible to put up a registry page that has the BOM for each proposed build, at minimum the Vajra & Original. This would allow a member using their user account to submit a transaction to donate certain parts for a build and then those would be listed as donated. Then also have bin(s) to collect the other donations, tubes, chassis, transformers, amps, guitars, etc.

Any famous forum members willing to donate some autographed memorabilia?
0 x