Comments Sought on 1st Scratch Design: Parallel SE EL34 Amp

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

JoeV
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by JoeV »

Mooreamps wrote: No wonder you guys struggle with this stuff. Ya, I'll bet pre-amp voicing would be an art form untill you figure out how to graduate from "power supplies".

-g
Man, WHAT is your deal? :roll: There is no need to be rude on here.
0 x
Joe V.
www.amplates.com
Custom Faceplates for DIY Guitar Amplifiers
...and Photo Grille Cloth, too!

ur12
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by ur12 »

Mooreamps wrote:It's not a contradiction. The rectifier tube does not generate rf switching noise like solid state does, and is the other alternative if low power shottky can not be had. The series choke reduces the the surge current stress on the rec tube, and just what I would have done as it also makes the tone a little smoother in this configuration.

No wonder you guys struggle with this stuff. Ya, I'll bet pre-amp voicing would be an art form untill you figure out how to graduate from "power supplies".

-g
Personally I can't hear RF with my ears and I have heard some VERY quiet amps using SS diodes. The tube recto is designed to work with a cap and as long as you don't exceed the tube's input cap rating they are fine and have been used for 50+ years. While your being condescending, why don't you explain to us just exactly how that choke is going to make the tone of the amp "Smoother". I graduated from power supplys about 32 years ago and am ready to move on to preamp voicing. :roll:
0 x

Mooreamps
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Mooreamps »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Alexo wrote: which is why so many Champs suffer from hum.
And with a parallel-SE amp you should wire the heaters of the two power tubes anti-phase, to help cancel heater hum in them.
that's not why champs suffer from hum. Champs suffer from hum due to the lack of a dedicated dc ground bus. Secondly, he could nix the choke when the inductance of the primary coil of the O/T is on the order of 9 Henrys. What's this B.S. about wiring power tube heaters in "anti-phase"? Better ways to reduce hum induced from the filaments from the power tubes are to go with dc filaments and/or dc elevated heaters. Maybe you'd better figure out how this stuff really works before you post any more dis-information about it.

-g
0 x