36W OT...was pwr xfmr

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

36W OT...was pwr xfmr

Post by jaysg »

Graydon and Richie,

What OT(s) would you be using for a 36W? Two 18W OTs or something else like the OEI AC30 or Plexi 50W? I've never seen one of the Marshall 100W with two OTs. I understand that each one was attached to a separate load. True/False? I could see paralleling OTs could work fine, or could blow right up. I've got no intuition there :roll: .
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

The amps that use 2 OTs are set up like a stereo amp..each side has its own output. I've never seen a 2 OT marshall inperson..lol

Well for me, i'm going to use the heyboer OT for the AC30.. but as you see, many options are out there.. the 50 watt plexi might also be fine..
3.4K Pretty close.. We'll just have to experiment and see what sounds best.. I've got A Heyboer AC30 tranny sitting here.. Can't wait to get the thing going.. I've also got a AC-30 here to side by side,see, how these are going to compare sound/tone wise. I'm melding the trainwreck,and 18 into the 4xEL84 amp.. So when useing the 18 channel,i'll have to switch out the FB circut.. i've got some really good ideas,that may sound weird or look weird to some, but i sure want to try this and see how it turns out..

Richie
0 x

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jaysg »

Depending on how I look at it, I have a few candidates:
1) EMC tweed bassman 2/4/8 (Holland Gibb-Droll)
2) JCM800 50W (from 2204)
3) OEI Plexi 50W (in 2204)
4) two Dynaco 18W OTs from an SCA-35
5) buy something new...God forbid 8O

If I set them all up, the chassis is going to be swiss cheese...
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

""If I set them all up, the chassis is going to be swiss cheese""

Well i wouldn't suggest this for anyone..but you don't have to have the OT mounted in the amp just to test how it sounds.. You can just use jumper clips, i've done it many times.. just be carefull.. Or make a socket wireing off the tube pins,so you can attach the plug to any tranny,and just plug it in.. But its easier than trying to drill and mount each one..
HA..you should see my bench..I have a little rubber skeleton man hanging with his hand between the power outlet.. People always ask me what the heck is that.."hes just a reminder.."

Richie
0 x