Why is the 65 Amps London's EF86 channel so chimey....

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

Thanks for the Vajra background Phil. I also found it very informative. Maybe it's time to use that EF86 that bought.
0 x

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jaysg »

sharkboy wrote:First of all, I agree with all the technical stuff you write (that I understand) but 65 Amps describes their circuit as cascode/pentode based. What's up with that?
I've looked at the site and concluded that they probably changed the London design to use the same cascode input as the Marquee. It looks like the London description was updated, but a reference to the ef-86 wasn't deleted properly.
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

Yeah, I thought that they went to cascode a while ago because of the scarcity of good EF86s.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

rjgtr wrote:Thanks for the Vajra background Phil...
Dat wuz s2-Steve, not me....
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

zaphod_phil wrote:
rjgtr wrote:Thanks for the Vajra background Phil...
Dat wuz s2-Steve, not me....
Hey you're right - Well then forget you! :lol: :wink: THANKS S2!

P.S. I found your posts helpful anyway.
0 x

dehughes
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by dehughes »

Merlinb wrote:
His solution for getting more chime out of it was to give the tube its own filter cap
Good advice- that goes without saying. Pentodes have zero PSRR.
This I did....8 uf. Kinda small, I know, but I was initially going for a dead-on AC30/4 vibe....
0 x
Tempus edax rerum

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

rjgtr wrote:P.S. I found your posts helpful anyway.
I'll try not to let it happen again. :lol:
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

My memory says that London had a lot of trouble with spurious oscillations when they first tried the EF86, and that's why they now have the "extra" resistor. To my mind, if you want to try for a different sound with a cascode circuit, try an EC91 running into an EF86 wired in triode mode (yes, it is hungry on the heaters). Or for another variation, there are a lot of sharp cut-off pentodes lying around that sound very different if you use them as triodes, and I don't think they get enough attention, especially as they are cheap!
0 x

KT77
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by KT77 »

interesting......
0 x

dehughes
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by dehughes »

Well, I connected a 1M resistor in parallel with the .1uf cap on the EF86 grid (forming a divider with the 1M resistor from the filter cap to the grid itself...) and this took the voltage from about 120v down to 77v or so on the grid, and RAISED the voltage on the plate from 125v to about 172v. Interesting....anyone know why that happened? I wager it makes sense, but I'm a bit too tired to process.... :) Also, I tried running about 2M on the grid (no resistor to ground...just increased resistance to the grid) and this yielded similar voltage results. What exactly is going on with that? I'm sure if I knew more about Ohm's Law, etc., it would make sense, but I figured that 2M in front vs. a 1M/1M voltage divider would yield different results...

However, the voltage change did, in fact, make the EF86 smoother, softer, and more articulate, albeit a bit quieter overall. I do like that effect, but actually prefer to run it like the AC30/4 normally does, with the 220k on the plate and the 1M on the screen. This keeps the channel warm and thick, but with enough articulation to let my SG speak clearly enough. Still though, it is good to know of some options for running an EF86...
0 x
Tempus edax rerum

soundmasterg

Post by soundmasterg »

I added an EF86 and cathode follower (and some other stuff) to my brother's Silvertone 1484 and I ended up going with a 220k plate resistor, a 2k2 cathode resistor with a 25uf cathode cap, and a 1M3 screen grid resistor. I read somewhere that you should be shooting for a screen voltage that is about 30% to 40% what the plate voltage is. So after experimenting with it, I found that you get a cleaner sound if you do this, and as you bring the screen grid voltage closer to the plate voltage, the sound gets dirtier. Its a balancing act though because the plate voltage doesn't stay stationary as you're playing with screen grid resistor values. I finally settled on 106v on the plate and 92v on the screen, and the supply voltage is about 340v.

Greg
0 x

dehughes
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by dehughes »

soundmasterg wrote:I added an EF86 and cathode follower (and some other stuff) to my brother's Silvertone 1484 and I ended up going with a 220k plate resistor, a 2k2 cathode resistor with a 25uf cathode cap, and a 1M3 screen grid resistor. I read somewhere that you should be shooting for a screen voltage that is about 30% to 40% what the plate voltage is. So after experimenting with it, I found that you get a cleaner sound if you do this, and as you bring the screen grid voltage closer to the plate voltage, the sound gets dirtier. Its a balancing act though because the plate voltage doesn't stay stationary as you're playing with screen grid resistor values. I finally settled on 106v on the plate and 92v on the screen, and the supply voltage is about 340v.

Greg
Interesting... Thanks Greg! Your plate and screen voltages are closer to what a standard AC30/4 arrangement produces. I find it interesting that you settled there. When I take my circuit and input the "Matchless" value resistors, I get a great disparity between plate and screen voltages, much like what happens when I add a dropping resistor across the .1uf cap on the screen. I'm glad to be learning about the options present for an EF86, and especially what those options produce in terms of tonality and response characteristics. Many thanks again to all who have contributed here...
0 x
Tempus edax rerum

soundmasterg

Post by soundmasterg »

I originally had the stock AC30/4 values, but with the supply voltage I had for the EF86, (actually closer to 325v) the screen voltage was higher than the plate, and I didn't like that, so I went with a larger screen grid resistor. I have a cathode follower direct coupled to the EF86, with a tone stack and volume control, and a gain stage using 1/2 of a 12AY7, so the gain level the EF86 was putting out was just fine.

Greg
0 x

dehughes
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by dehughes »

soundmasterg wrote:I originally had the stock AC30/4 values, but with the supply voltage I had for the EF86, (actually closer to 325v) the screen voltage was higher than the plate, and I didn't like that, so I went with a larger screen grid resistor. I have a cathode follower direct coupled to the EF86, with a tone stack and volume control, and a gain stage using 1/2 of a 12AY7, so the gain level the EF86 was putting out was just fine.

Greg
Interesting... What were your plate and screen voltages before you made the changes?
0 x
Tempus edax rerum

Merlinb
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Merlinb »

dehughes wrote:...and this took the voltage from about 120v down to 77v or so on the grid, and RAISED the voltage on the plate from 125v to about 172v. Interesting....anyone know why that happened?
Lower screen voltage compresses the gid curves, = lower quiescent anode current, but bias voltage doesn't drop proportionately because it also handles screen current via the cathode, hence the increased anode voltage.
0 x

dehughes
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by dehughes »

Merlinb wrote:
dehughes wrote:...and this took the voltage from about 120v down to 77v or so on the grid, and RAISED the voltage on the plate from 125v to about 172v. Interesting....anyone know why that happened?
Lower screen voltage compresses the gid curves, = lower quiescent anode current, but bias voltage doesn't drop proportionately because it also handles screen current via the cathode, hence the increased anode voltage.
I'm going to have to read that answer a few more times....but thank you! :)
0 x
Tempus edax rerum

JimiB
Unrated

Post by JimiB »

great thread!
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

This thread got me curious so I converted the normal channel to cascode and I really like it! It is a fatter sound than the parallel with good complexity.
0 x

dehughes
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by dehughes »

Yeah, this thread got me 'a tinkering....

So, I've done a few things:

1) Wired up my EF86 stage just like an AC30/4.

2) Wired up my EF86 stage just like a DC30.

3) Wired up my EF86 stage with a 220k plate resistor and a 1M screen resistor with another 1M screen resistor to ground, in parallel with the .1uf cap (attempting to replicate the London EF86 voltages).

For reference, here is that handy-dandy chart so wonderfully stored on this site:

My question now pertains more to what is going on with a pentode when the screen drops in voltage but the plate stays the same.... I noticed that going between the AC30/4 and DC30 options the plate voltage stayed at about 126ish, but the screen voltage went from 118v to about 72v, respectively. Now, when putting a 1M across the .1uf cap to ground (and with a 220k plate and 1M screen) the plate jumped up to 172v and the screen was down to about 75v. We've cleared up here why that happens, so my question is more towards what is happening when you have a 125v plate and a 118v or 72v screen...is the former more of a "cold biased" effect and the latter more a "warmer biased" effect? I seem to remember that being mentioned somewhere...

I'm curious mostly because I'd like to have an explanation for what I'm hearing. With the AC30/4 values and voltages I seem to have a somewhat darker but fatter vibe that is not terribly harsh in the upper frequencies, but articulate enough, and very deep and robust in the low end. With the DC30 values I'm hearing more articulation and a bit more harshness in the upper mids, and not as deep and grand a low end. I'm leaning more towards the AC30/4 values and voltages...but I'm going to give the DC30 setup another day or so...
0 x
Tempus edax rerum

PeterS
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PeterS »

Okay, prompted by this thread, I started tinkering too. I put the AC30/4 front end on my Lite IIb with 6v6s.

Haven't had chance to play it much, but what I've heard so far sounds great.

Measured voltages---- B+ (for this stage) is 260, screen is at 90 volts, plate is at 70 volts!! Seems odd that the plate voltage is so low. I'd swap the tube and see if it changes, but I only have ONE EF86 (NOS Amperex).

Does it matter that the plate is below the screen? Should I be increasing the screen resistor, which I assume will lower the screen and therefore reduce the current and so also raise the plate?

This pentode stuff is just what we didn't need--- more parameters! :lol:
0 x