36 Watt Chassis

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

36 Watt Chassis

Post by stevesuk »

Forget the damn 1/8" aluminium, two of us on an 6 foot long industrial hand operated bender, managed to bend the lips and then gave up on bending the box section.

I will return to the 1/8" stuff when we put obsolete "big bertha" (hydraulic 8 feet long bender) back together.

I have reverted to the 1/16" aluminium. Knocked up a couple of 20" chassis' and marked them out for 8 valves. The spacing works out at about 2 1/4" each valve centre to centre and 2 1/4" in from the ends. I am using the head layout and intend using them in a head or combo (same chassis).

I will punch the valve base holes out tomorrow, as close to the edge as sensible and put the tags in a circuit board out of RS hole board 27 X 7 holes.
I think I'll then wait for Richie to sketch out the layout before I populate the board.

Steve UK
0 x

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jaysg »

I think you've found out why .080 to .090 is about as far as people go with al. The type is important too. Some will stretch and some will fail at the bend.
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Steve, do you have an e-mail? Or send me one..

Richie..
0 x

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

Richie,
You have mail.
Steve UK
0 x

Prophet
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Prophet »

Hey,

If you guys send me a blueprint for the 36w, I will program it and make it on the NC punch and get it to you for a dirt cheap price in CDN$ ( I would only have to cover costs), because I want one too! 8)

Cheers,

Antonio
Last edited by Prophet on Wed 02/11/04 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

dazco

Post by dazco »

Has anyone considered making a chassis from multiple aluminum pieces? I'm thinking about looking for a sheet of aluminum at a hardware store that i can use as the bottom of a front control combo chassis, then finding aluminum edging that has a lip on the top and bottom edge of a approximatly 3" tall piece so that i can screw it to the bottom plate on the front and back as the front and rear control panels. Then make faceplates for front and back from plexi or whatever. Anyone done this? seems like it would be a good way to make a chassis cheap and easily, especially if you find a hardware store that can cut it to size for you. This would also work of course for vintage style combos like the original 18.
0 x

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

If you want to make a cheap aluminium chassis you can make a simple bender out of wood and two hinges.

I will try and describe it - a piece of 4" X 2" on it's side in a vice. a piece of 4" X 2" flat on top hinged with a couple of door hinges. A lever (handle) fixed to the top 4" X 2". Trap the aluminium in the gap and rotate the top piece of wood 90 degrees. Think of it like jamming a piece of material between a door and the door frame. I have tried it and it works. The lips are a little bit difficult, but the main right angles are easy.

Steve UK
0 x

dazco

Post by dazco »

Thats a great idea. But i really think a bolt together chassis would be nice if i can find the pieces i'd need. If not i may try that idea tho.
0 x