Some 36 watter trannys

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Some 36 watter trannys

Post by Plexi »

Well, I got the first set of trannys here for my amp, and the boards also came today from Norm.. All excellant.. The trannys are heyboer AC-30 trannys, but the PT is made a bit different..its a standup mount, And smaller in size than the big AC-30,but could be used set through a chassis,by just removing the bell cover,and mount it sideways. I also got some parts from an old electronics store nearby.
Now just have to wait on the chassis. Started loading the board,and setting the rest of my parts out together. I also got a choke..very nice looking iron! thats where i am till the chassis comes..

Richie
0 x

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Some 36 watter trannys

Post by jaysg »

Plexi wrote:The trannys are heyboer AC-30 trannys, but the PT is made a bit different..its a standup mount, And smaller in size than the big AC-30...
Is the filament the thing that determines just how big a power transformer is going to be? Here, we're only powering 4x el84s and 3 12ax7's, whereas in an AC 30, there are a lot more preamp tubes? Just wondering.
0 x

Komboking

Plexi's chassis

Post by Komboking »

Richie - your chassis are done and I'll ship them tomorrow. :D
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

WooOoo WeEeeeee.. sounds great.. everything should be in order..i have the next weekend off. And that will give me time to start putting it together..
Thanks!

Richie
0 x

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

Richie,
What is the inductance and current rating of the choke you are using ?

Can you quote a range of useable chokes as I have some lying around ready ?
The Marshall JTM45 RI choke is only £10 ($20) would that do ?
I understand that a choke is a choke is a choke i.e. doesn't have much effect on the sound as far as quality is concerned. So pretty much anything would do ?

Steve UK
0 x

dboul
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Re: Some 36 watter trannys

Post by dboul »

Plexi wrote:Well, I got the first set of trannys here for my amp, and the boards also came today from Norm.. All excellant.. The trannys are heyboer AC-30 trannys, but the PT is made a bit different..its a standup mount, And smaller in size than the big AC-30,but could be used set through a chassis,by just removing the bell cover,and mount it sideways. I also got some parts from an old electronics store nearby.
Now just have to wait on the chassis. Started loading the board,and setting the rest of my parts out together. I also got a choke..very nice looking iron! thats where i am till the chassis comes..

Richie
Hi Richie,

Do you have a circuit and chassis design that you're confident in yet? I'm working with Mercury on trannies for a 36. We should chat! :D

All the best! :D
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Dan, It seems Steve and Graydon have one finished,and both built something besides the stock amp. And mine too will only have one channel of the 18..and the other is going to be the Train wreck.
I have a good layout,and loaded my board. And going to add some things to switch in the TW and 18 channels. Still slow going,but its getting there,since its for me,i'm working on it in my spare time.
My chassis is punched,and just need to mount the parts,and wire it up, i worked on the box last sat,since it was warm that day.
I just thought i'd try something different.

Richie
0 x