WATKINS DOMINATOR CABINET

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

argus

Post by argus »

Hey User669, I did check your website, and sent you an email.

Hope you can fill my custom order. I'll tip, I really want one! :D
0 x
A Fender and Gibson are as different as a Piano and an Organ.

chriswu101
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by chriswu101 »

I'm interested in the plans, as I'm going to go for an all original cab. I would be interested to see your take on it. Thanks for all the work you've put in, especially for us that aren't buying a cab, but just looking at the plans. Very thoughtful of you to provide the plans for all. Really shows a commitment towards the community.

Chris
0 x

user669

Post by user669 »

Michael, BNP Lasers has a new faceplate that looks like chrome and the letters are black. It is not real chrome but looks the part.

Argus, Thanks for the e-mail.

Chris, Thanks. I hope the have the rest of the information I need to complete the cabinet plans by this weekend.

Everyone that has asked me by e-mail, I will send you a link to the plans when they are done. I will also post a link to the plans in here.
0 x
Mike
Amp Cabinet Co.

argus

Post by argus »

Well, when I first went to the amp cab website, I had a lousey connection, and the pages didn't load fully. Soooo, after emailing and asking a zillion questions, I revisited the website, it has every detail covered in full, very nice.

Went ahead and ordered one! :D

If it is half as good in person as the photos, I will be very happy indeed! I'll post pics of my custom color choices when it arrives.

Tarzanalog, didn't see you had asked for one before I inquired about going to the "head of the line", didn't mean to squeeze ahead of any fellow forum members.
0 x

Michael
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Michael »

argus wrote: Tarzanalog, didn't see you had asked for one before I inquired about going to the "head of the line", didn't mean to squeeze ahead of any fellow forum members.
I guess I owe both of you an apology, because I ordered one a few days ago. 8)
0 x

argus

Post by argus »

What amp are you going to put in it? The original Watkins looks too narrow to fit an 18 watt, but I have been assured it will be a go!

My fave thing about the web is being able to find those guys who make specialty stuff. I used to use Vibroworld for my odd requests, but they seem to have vanished. Really happy to have stumbled on this. :D
0 x

Michael
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Michael »

argus wrote:What amp are you going to put in it? The original Watkins looks too narrow to fit an 18 watt, but I have been assured it will be a go!

My fave thing about the web is being able to find those guys who make specialty stuff. I used to use Vibroworld for my odd requests, but they seem to have vanished. Really happy to have stumbled on this. :D
I haven't completely decided. Don't care anything about the original Watkins circuit. Probably something with channel switching. :twisted:

The recommended "combo box" chassis from http://www.turretboards.com/Chassis_blank.htm will have no problem holding most if not all versions of the 18 Watt. It measures 20" x 6" x 2.5".
0 x

user669

Post by user669 »

Okay, for those of you that have been interested in the actual measurements of the dominator cabinet, well I have good news! I was able to get every single detail of the dominators size from Scott at shelf top music in New York. I am working on drawing the cabinet up now. I will have a link for those interested soon!
0 x
Mike
Amp Cabinet Co.

argus

Post by argus »

Thanks!

Any idea yet, will the cab size be different for those ordering 10" speakers from those order the 12" size? Did the original feature 10's or 12's?
0 x

Mr_dB
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Mr_dB »

The originals had two 10" speakers.
0 x

Mr_dB
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Mr_dB »

user669 wrote:Okay, for those of you that have been interested in the actual measurements of the dominator cabinet, well I have good news! I was able to get every single detail of the dominators size from Scott at shelf top music in New York. I am working on drawing the cabinet up now. I will have a link for those interested soon!
Cool. Just out of curiosity, was your eyeball guess very far off in any way?
0 x

user669

Post by user669 »

Mr_dB wrote:
user669 wrote:Okay, for those of you that have been interested in the actual measurements of the dominator cabinet, well I have good news! I was able to get every single detail of the dominators size from Scott at shelf top music in New York. I am working on drawing the cabinet up now. I will have a link for those interested soon!
Cool. Just out of curiosity, was your eyeball guess very far off in any way?
Nope not much at all, I was 1 7/8" off on how wide the cabinet is which I was aiming on making mine just big enough to fit 12 inch speakers. Oh and the thickness of the wood in some spots I was wrong. The Dominator used ALL 3/8" ply. I used 1/2" for the top and bottom and the sides and 3/8" on the V front and baffles. The Dominator used all butt joints with supports on the inside. I used dovetails on the sides and small supports on the inside.

The cabinet size that I made was the 24" wide in the back and I am going to stick with that so I can offer the 12" speaker option and if someone would like 10" speakers I can put it is the same cabinet. OR maybe someone would want both which all they would need to do is switch out the baffles with the other size.

If anyone ever asked for one made just like how the original I would have no problems with that. But it would never be able to fit 12" speakers in it.
0 x
Mike
Amp Cabinet Co.

jcny

Post by jcny »

User669, I'm glad that Top Shelf came through for you.

I've met the guys a couple of times at the bi-annual music swap meet here and they've always seemed very willing to help.
0 x

user669

Post by user669 »

Hello,

I have the dimensions for the Dominator now on my site.

http://www.ampcabco.com/building-guide.htm

I am still working on the plans but the basic size, etc are posted.

Yes, soon all the info will be available!
0 x
Mike
Amp Cabinet Co.

Mr_dB
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Mr_dB »

This is coming along nicely.

To cut the channel for piping, do you use a router or run the cabinet through a saw?
0 x

user669

Post by user669 »

To create the channel for the piping I use a normal thickness ".125" saw blade. It is much easier in my option to make mistakes doing this with a router.

I will have plans showing how I make the dominator at some point. I hope this helps everyone!
0 x
Mike
Amp Cabinet Co.

user669

Post by user669 »

I am posting photos of the cabinet build on my site if anyone is interested. It is half way done. I know that some were wondering how I attached the front panels and I think these photos will give some insight on how its done.
0 x
Mike
Amp Cabinet Co.

bennyk
Unrated

Re: WATKINS DOMINATOR CABINET

Post by bennyk »

Gentlemen,
I know this thread has been long buried, but I was wondering if anyone has the Dominator cabinet plan files that Mr.Mike from Amp Cabinet Company posted way back when? Not much info on these unless you want to buy a repro amp.I don't see them at the Wattkins amp site either. Would be nice if they were archived. Definitely a long shot, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Benny
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: WATKINS DOMINATOR CABINET

Post by crgfrench »

Here are the Plans
Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 8.34.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 8.35.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 8.35.34 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x