36 watt Heyboer PT

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

36 watt Heyboer PT

Post by stevesuk »

Graydon,
Installed the 36W heyboer and it fits just great, as you say, same footprint as standard 18 watt.

I am just wiring my 36 watt and the transformer colour coding is slightly different. The Mains wiring has black, Black/white, black/yellow, black/blue.

I have assumed the following
Black common /neutral
Black/white 110V
Black/blue 240V ??
Black/yellow 120V ??

The rest is the same as the standard 18 watt heyboer.

Steve UK
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

Steve,

There wasn't room on the core to physically fit all the wire necessary to do that kind of primary winding. So, this tranny has two parallel 120VAC primaries. You'll need to wire them up in series or parallel to get 120 or 240 primaries.

Black = 0V
Black/white = 120V

Black/blue = 0V
Black/yellow = 120V

To run 120V with this tranny, you would connect the black wire and the black/blue wire together and conect that to neutral on your mains cord. Then connect the black/white wire to the black yellow wire and attach that to the live 120VAC wire in your mains cord.

To run 240VAC primaries with this PT, you would connect the black wire to neutral. Then connect the black/white wire to the black/blue wire and insulate that connection so that it doesn't touch anything. Then conect the black/yellow wire to the live wire on your mains cord.

I double-checked all of these connections in my shop just a few minutes ago and they all worked so you should be good to go.

BTW, I would connect the 120VAC indicator lamp between the black wire and the black/white wire so that regardless of the incoming mains voltage, the indicator always sees 120VAC.

HTH.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

Thanks Graydon, I'm glad I checked.

Nearly done, should be ready to go (all but the missing OT) by tomorrow..

Steve UK
0 x

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

Finished everything on the 36 watt head/combo chassis, except the Output Transformer. When that arrives it should take about an hour I suppose.

The voltages are a bit of a shock :?

The UK declared mains voltage is 230V +or- 5% (from memory) today it measures 248Volts !! this is giving 317 Volts out of the HV connections of the 36 Watt Heyboer. The 5V and 6.3V tappings are absolutely spot on. This is all on open circuit, so they should drop a touch depending on the internal impedance of the transformer windings.

Steve UK
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

Steve,

I'll be curious to hear your voltage measurements after you get it all under load. I have found on the 18W PT that filament voltages are always a couple tenths higher than spec so I think that the tranny could stand to be driven a little harder. Someone suggested to me that the really old AC30 had only a 150mA rating on the PT high voltage, so it might be worth trying a regular 18W PT in a 36W amp. OTOH, maybe that was why AC30s had a reputation for burning up, literally. :wink:
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

The one i'm useing is..
280-0-280 @ 200mA

The one that was a copy of a old one is.. 250ma its a huge tranny.

Richie
0 x