Any one in UK dealt with

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

populartsl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Any one in UK dealt with

Post by populartsl »

Has any one in UK dealt with mouser in th US

Thanks Ben
0 x

paulster

Post by paulster »

I've used them quite a bit, especially with the Dollar the way it is.

They only charge the actual USPS Global Priority shipping costs, which generally isn't too much for components. Much better than DigiKey who, although good, use UPS. Allied are pretty good too (USPS from memory), although I stick with Mouser for their good shipping and generally excellent stock levels if I can.

Of course, there's ParcelFarce and their £13.50 'administration' fee if you get hit for VAT, but that's a bit hit-and-miss at the moment. For some reason, you're unlikely to get import duty levied on components, just VAT if it gets stopped. I don't know why, and I'm not going to ask.

Paul
0 x

populartsl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by populartsl »

Thanks Paul for info

I want parts for Airbrake and Mouser have them all and like you say with exchange as it is stuff is a bit cheaper (makes a change for us brits)

Cheers Ben
0 x

Merlinb
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Why??

Post by Merlinb »

I have to ask, why woudl you want to? There's nothing you can get from Mouser that you can get from the UK. Nothing amp related that I can think of anyway!
0 x

martinw
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by martinw »

I was thinking of building an airbrake too.

Merlin, I couldn't find anywhere in the UK where you can get an equivalent to the big Ohmite resistors.

Ben, If you are palcing an order with them, would you be interested in doubling up with me and reducing shipping costs?
0 x

populartsl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by populartsl »

Hi Merlin and Martin

I've looked everywhere for Ohmite resistors like you martin but have come to the same conclusion if you know of anywhere in uk merlin it would be very much appreciated.
Martin as for doubling up no problem will be ordering soon within a week or so if cant find items in Uk. I'll let know before ordering.

Cheers Ben
0 x

martinw
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by martinw »

Excellent.
0 x

paulster

Re: Why??

Post by paulster »

Merlinb wrote:I have to ask, why woudl you want to? There's nothing you can get from Mouser that you can get from the UK. Nothing amp related that I can think of anyway!
I'd like to know where you get your silver mica's from at an affordable price then! :D RS has about the best range and they charge a fortune in comparison here.

It's also getting difficult to get eyelets here (unless you know places I don't), especially the 1/16 and 3/32 sized ones that I needed for a project.

In a nutshell, once I'd found a few things that only Mouser had it ended up being way cheaper to give them a big order and to use RS, CPC, Farnell and the like for the odd bits that I couldn't get from Mouser.
0 x

Merlinb
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: Why??

Post by Merlinb »

paulster wrote:I'd like to know where you get your silver mica's from at an affordable price then! :D RS has about the best range and they charge a fortune in comparison here.
Rapid sells non RoHS silver micas for pence. Though I agree the RoHS compliant ones are expensive at about £1 each.

And I admit I have never tried to buy Ohmite resistors! What sort do you mean? What is their advantage over the ordinary aluminium clad resistors? Neither have I ever wanted eyelets (I use turrets).
0 x

martinw
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by martinw »

Like these:
0 x

AncientMariner
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by AncientMariner »

I've done a little digging, and thiswebsite lists Farnell as a supplier in the UK of Ohmite resistors.

However Farnell list them as discontinued! :P

Willow supply these wirewound resistors that *look* quite a lot like the Ohmite resistors.

Don't mind me asking, what's special about an airbrake (attenuator?) compared to all the rest?
0 x

populartsl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by populartsl »

There relatively cheap and simple to make and by all accounts do the job very well.

Ben
0 x

Bulatovic
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Bulatovic »

can anyone post a schematic of that attenuator as i might be interested in building it.

Thanks
Luka
0 x

populartsl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by populartsl »

Martin

I've compiled a list and i'm getting ready to order but i'd like you to run thru it dont want to order the wrong things

Ben
0 x

martinw
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by martinw »

OK.
Did you want to post it here?
Or you could email it to me. Go to my site at the www link below, and my contact details are there...on the Contact page!
Cheers.
0 x

populartsl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by populartsl »

Martin
Just sent u e-mail

Ben
0 x

martinw
Frequent poster