New 18 watt combo build

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Mooreamps
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

New 18 watt combo build

Post by Mooreamps »

I have just been retained by contract to provide all back-end equipment for a new recording studio in Wyoming. I will have plenty of work to do, so don't think I'm only on this forum to "hype" my equipment. I only mention the fact that I am a designer when I write comments on forum topics.

This build will also be an 18 watt single-end amplifier, with a two channel pre-amp, a twin pa power amp section and electronic power scaling.

New circuits will include a re-designed tremelo circuit, which eliminates the need of the Fender neon bulb and LDR part. A true virbrato circuit which will actually vary the frequency of the tone, and not the amplitude. More details to follow.

-g
0 x
Gary Moore
Moore Amplification

GTRWUN
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by GTRWUN »

Good for you Gary...........sounds like great news, and I wish you luck and success..... :) Steve
0 x

Mooreamps
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Mooreamps »

Thank you. I am anxious to test my new virbrato vcircuit. I'm was thinking this combo build would be along the lines of the old Virbrolux, which is no longer made.
-g
0 x

floridajack
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

vibrolux

Post by floridajack »

gary,

that is one of my favorite all-time amps. sounds like a neat project. i'm looking foreward to following your progress.

fj
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

That's cool news Gary. More power to ya!!
0 x

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

dartanion wrote:That's cool news Gary. More power to ya!!
You mean Moore power to ya!
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

Alexo wrote:
dartanion wrote:That's cool news Gary. More power to ya!!
You mean Moore power to ya!
I contemplated writing it like that, then thought it might be too catty :lol:

PUN INTENDED BRUTHA :D
0 x

gene
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by gene »

Gary, please keep us posted on progress.

Thanks.

gene
0 x

Manoteal

Moore Power

Post by Manoteal »

I am in your camp! Go get 'em Gary! :dance:
M
0 x
"Tone is Subjective"

Mooreamps
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Mooreamps »

gene wrote:Gary, please keep us posted on progress.

Thanks.

gene
Yes, I will. Thank you.
-g
0 x

garymooreampguy
Unrated

Post by garymooreampguy »

This combo is going to be the amp that I have been looking for for clean tones, and multitasking!!!!!!! cant wait!!!!!!!! Hey why doesnt anyone offer to buy me beer for eternity!!!!!!! LOL at myself (since I dont know any of you)
0 x

Bluesmechanic
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: New 18 watt combo build

Post by Bluesmechanic »

Mooreamps wrote: This build will also be an 18 watt single-end amplifier, with a two channel pre-amp, a twin pa power amp section and electronic power scaling.

New circuits will include a re-designed tremelo circuit, which eliminates the need of the Fender neon bulb and LDR part. A true virbrato circuit which will actually vary the frequency of the tone, and not the amplitude. More details to follow.

-g
Hey Gary, what do you estimate the street price for a rig like that will be? I'm also kinda curious how much that rig you had demoed on "You Tube" went for.:hmm:
0 x

Mooreamps
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Mooreamps »

Bluesmechanic wrote:
Mooreamps wrote: This build will also be an 18 watt single-end amplifier, with a two channel pre-amp, a twin pa power amp section and electronic power scaling.

-g
Hey Gary, what do you estimate the street price for a rig like that will be? I'm also kinda curious how much that rig you had demoed on "You Tube" went for.:hmm:
Now that I don't know. I see what some of the other custom builders charge for some of there work, and it is a lot of hard work to bring one of these amps up. One of my problems is, I see few other amps to compare with my builds since my builds are just so much different. I am also not at liberty to discuss how much my client has retained me for my services. However, for the rig we demo'ed on You Tube, I would like to keep the price tag on that one under a grand.

As for the combo build, that one could become very pricy considering it may have a stereo power amp, and true virbrato, and not the psuedo virbrato / tremelo circuit as portrayed in the older Fender layouts. A true virbrato would actually vary the pitch of the guitar signal, not the amplitude. To this end, I will prototype a tube based mixer circuit to produce a varying pitch to the amplifier gain stages.

Also, I will only work with individual artists, and not the public. The last build I did for "garymooreampguy" is a one of a kind amp, and he will soon own the very first one.

-g
0 x
Gary Moore
Moore Amplification

paulster

Post by paulster »

Mooreamps wrote:I have just been retained by contract to provide all back-end equipment for a new recording studio in Wyoming.
Great news. Good luck with it.
Mooreamps wrote:New circuits will include a re-designed tremelo circuit, which eliminates the need of the Fender neon bulb and LDR part. A true virbrato circuit which will actually vary the frequency of the tone, and not the amplitude.
I was reading an article only yesterday speculating about why Leo misnamed what was actually a tremolo circuit in his amps as a vibrato. It probably had something to do with the fact that he'd only just misnamed the vibrato on the Strat as a tremolo (which might have been an unenlightened attempt to distinguish it from Bigsby's vibrato unit).

Sounds like a really cool amp. Tube tremolo is nice, but tube vibrato would be really neat.
0 x

Mooreamps
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Mooreamps »

I have no idea what Jim Marshalls background is. Don't know what the reasoning could be for that, and not worried about trying to second guess his naming convention for those circuits. I'm just going to do my own thing, and just see where it goes.

-g
0 x
Gary Moore
Moore Amplification

tunghaichuan
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by tunghaichuan »

Mooreamps wrote:I have no idea what Jim Marshalls background is.
Jim Marshall is a drummer.

tung
0 x
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Mooreamps
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Mooreamps »

I was inquiring as to what his electrical background was, but glad good ole Jim was a drummer too.

-g
0 x

veets
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by veets »

I think that the most significant aspect of Jim Marshall's electronics background is that he COPIED an existing design (Fender Bassman) when he built his first amp. He didn't try to re-invent the wheel.
0 x
Bassists are people too.......well sort of.....

morcey2
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by morcey2 »

veets wrote:I think that the most significant aspect of Jim Marshall's electronics background is that he COPIED an existing design (Fender Bassman) when he built his first amp. He didn't try to re-invent the wheel.
That's blasphemy!! Next you'll say that the 18 watt is nothing more than a Watkins Dominator!! I mean, there are some similarities, but it's a totally different design! Oh, wait. Nevermind. Nothing to see here.

I would just like to thank whomever made it difficult/expensive for Jim to get KT66's and have to switch to the EL34. As they say, the rest is history.

Matt.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Mooreamps wrote:I was inquiring as to what his electrical background was, but glad good ole Jim was a drummer too.
veets wrote:I think that the most significant aspect of Jim Marshall's electronics background is that he COPIED an existing design (Fender Bassman) when he built his first amp.
Actually, Jim Marshall didn't do the electronics design side, anyway, such as it was. He just ran the business and gave drum lessons. Ken Bran was the chief engineer. He was an EE who had also worked as a guitarist in some bands.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp