How To Spec A PT's Current Rating...?

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

How To Spec A PT's Current Rating...?

Post by Alexo »

Howdy all,

Finished up my 5 watt 6AQ5 browned out 18watt and I think I may have under-spec'd the pt.

I have a good bit of ripple on my B+ rail and I think the transformer may just not be able to keep up with the current demands, so the filter caps aren't getting a chance to fill up and work. Please, nevermind the troubleshooting, I have tried everything! My question is this:

I am running 2 6AQ5's at 180 volts, 2 12AX7's and a 6X4. At that voltage, the 6AQ5's combined plate and screen currents equals 64ma, the 12AX7's probably about 2 ma. I am using a Hammond PT spec'd to 65ma.

Obviously that's cutting it really close but I thought Hammonds were conservatively rated and that this shouldn't be a problem... but the rectifier generates a TON of heat, and the 2 5 watt 20 volt Zeners I've got in there probably aren't cool to the touch either, so they must be dissipating a good amount of current, right?

So how do you calculate this? Am I correct in thinking now that total current draw for an amp is more than just combined plate and screen dissipation for the signal tubes?

Thanks!!
0 x