non-metal chassis??

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

jiaen
Unrated

non-metal chassis??

Post by jiaen »

is it possible to use non-metal (for example wood) to make chassis?? wood is earier to cut/drill.

would it work if i just run a ground bus to the gound lug of power supply? i'm start to plan my next amp build, and like to explore some possiblities here. (actually it's just i don't have tools to drill metal).

thank y'all
0 x

DowdyLama

Post by DowdyLama »

I've built many amps using wood chassis - and, wood will never shock you :lol:
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

It's certainly possible, but you lose the shielding benefits of a metal chassis.
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

veets
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by veets »

Here's a couple of shots of an amp I'm working on. The "chassis" is constructed out of 1" thick maple, with mitred corners and rebated top and bottom for .082" aluminum plates. Before I glued up the 4 pieces, I counterbored big holes for the volume control, input jack, etc. It would be very difficult to make these holes after it was glued up! Two identical aluminum plates make up the top and bottom--the bottom will remain plain, and the top will be powder-coated black and have all the tube sockets in it. I intend to line the interior "chassis" with heavy guage aluminum foil, cut from those disposable roasting pans you get at the dollar store. I'll use spray adhesive on the pieces of aluminum to attach them to the wood. Key to this construction is to think everything through thoroughly. The look I'm going for is like the 7B12 hi-fi amp, but on a much smaller (One watt) scale. Already proto'd up the amp--nice tone.
0 x
Bassists are people too.......well sort of.....

jiaen
Unrated

Post by jiaen »

veer: the chassis sure looks nice :)

s2: so as long as i line it up with aluminium (will foil work here?), there should not be any problem right?
0 x

what_wires
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by what_wires »

Has anyone tried Jello???

:lol:
0 x

Manoteal

Jello?

Post by Manoteal »

My family always has Jello at the routine get togethers. And we always laugh at the 60's commercial about "Refreshing Jello", of more applicable to this thread, "There's always room for Jello"!
Who will be the first to try this!
:lol:
0 x
"Tone is Subjective"

Dana-L
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: non-metal chassis??

Post by Dana-L »

jiaen wrote:is it possible to use non-metal (for example wood) to make chassis??
Every year, our public library has a book sale where they clear out their excess titles (mostly old donated volumes) and it has been a treasure trove of goodies for my musical hobbies.

One of the more interesting and useful books I've found there was an ancient copy of 'The Radio Amateur's Handbook.' Mine's from 1953, an eBay search is likely to offer you a wide selection of different volumes.

Anyway, inside are many DIY projects and a few examples of wooden chassis. See below for a scan of one. There's also a section describing how to cut and bend a metal chassis as well as loads of tube data, an electronics primer (quite extensive, really), and an advertising section in the back.

Highly recommended (both the 'Radio Amateur's Handbook' and library book sales, that is).

-Dana

0 x

jac
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jac »

Dana-L,

Wondering which volume you have , Like to see the one you have.
Thanks in advance.
0 x

Dana-L
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Dana-L »

Hi Jac,

Mine's the 30th edition from 1953.

I posted some scans from it in this thread:

http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name= ... 918#166327

Cheers,

-Dana
0 x

jac
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jac »

Just saw it. I'm interested in that section on the chassis. I'd like to see how they did it in the old days.
:D
0 x

mattbrew0
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by mattbrew0 »

always room for jell-o . that's been a tag line for me and the friends for years :D it's a great inside joke for me and the boys, mattbrew0 :)
usually we're talking about a after dinner beer :D
0 x