How dynamic is the Trex?

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

ZxCv84
Unrated

How dynamic is the Trex?

Post by ZxCv84 »

I mean does it clean up nicely without loosing too much overall volume when you pull down the guitars volume. Thats the kind of feeling I've got from listening to trainwreck express and liverpool clips.
The most of the Trex sound clips I've heard here have sounded kinda flat distortion-wise.
0 x

populartsl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by populartsl »

I've built the 18 watt trex and IMO its not that dynamic if fact i think the 18 watt side of the amp is more dynamic and has a lot more control with guitar volume.

Ben
0 x

geekmacdaddy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by geekmacdaddy »

True, but having said that, even though it's high gain, there is amazing note definition, even when playing dissonent chords.
0 x

ZxCv84
Unrated

Post by ZxCv84 »

populartsl wrote:I've built the 18 watt trex and IMO its not that dynamic if fact i think the 18 watt side of the amp is more dynamic and has a lot more control with guitar volume.

Ben
18w side of the amp?, you mean the other channel?
I just want a single channel amp that can do it all...
Referring to a tone like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6VAipqeIpo
No pedals or channel switching, just total control of clean and higain with just the guitar volume, its so amazing. What other amps can do this?

It would be nice to build a amp like that with lower wattage, 18watts would be perfect.
0 x

ontariomaximus
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ontariomaximus »

Listening to that youtube Express clip gives me the inclination to get off the couch, go downstairs and build one RIGHT NOW
0 x

populartsl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by populartsl »

I think you need to build a trainwreck if you want that kind of thing. The Trex is a good amp but its a 18watt with a trainweck inspired channel on. I've also got a trainwreck express clone and basically its usable at one volume. What i mean is the volume set at 10 o,clock is as loud as it gets after that it just gets more saturated. Its got a wicked sound though.

Ben
0 x

ZxCv84
Unrated

Post by ZxCv84 »

Yeah, I had a Soldano HotRod50+ before and its overdrive channel worked pretty much the same way, even that it had mastervolume. It didn't get more gain efter 12o'clock just more beutiful saturated compression. And it cleaned up pretty nice too with the guitar volume but not enough to get a totally clean sound.

Well I guess I could build a Liverpool clone instead and pull out 2 powertubes. But this will be my first build from scratch so I don't want to mess around with much experimenting either :/
0 x