Vintage Elecronics Advertisements - Scans from 1953 Handbook

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Dana-L
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Vintage Elecronics Advertisements - Scans from 1953 Handbook

Post by Dana-L »

For your enjoyment, I present several scans from the advertising section of the 1953 edition of the 'Radio Amateur's Handbook.'

I think guitar amp builders are the ham radio enthusiasts of the new millennium.

Regarding components, as folks like Tone Lizard have noted, the focus was on selection, availability, reliability and cost. Unlike today, 'mojo' was not up for consideration.

Cheers,

-Dana

0 x

jac
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jac »

Fun :D :D
0 x

LooseChange
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by LooseChange »

Great! I like the Sprauge Ad... " Just right for your rig".

I've never seen the Koolohm resistors.
0 x

KenMoon

Post by KenMoon »

That's pretty cool. Thanks for posting those!

Once I had to do some research on RAM testing fundamentals, and I found a lot of good stuff in IBM tech journals from the '60s. The funniest part, though, was the ads for the IBM 360 mainframe computers - they all featured girls in swimsuits and high heels :) Don't think you'd see that these days...
0 x

lo-watt
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by lo-watt »

In this age of outsourcing and decreased quality, it's kind of cool to know Mallory/CDE, Sprauge and Allied electronics are still around and made in the USA. I buy from Allied almost everday for my owrk and almost all of my Guitar amp and pedals needs as well.

Here's something you my not have known about Allied,They are owned by RS in england.Thats right Radiospares!!!!!
Can you say cool transformers for marshalls??
0 x

Mr_dB
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Mr_dB »

Hallicrafters made clock radios?????!!!!!!!!!

Do not tell me that Collins made them too...
0 x

Mr_dB
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Mr_dB »

lo-watt wrote:In this age of outsourcing and decreased quality, it's kind of cool to know Mallory/CDE, Sprauge and Allied electronics are still around and made in the USA. I buy from Allied almost everday for my owrk and almost all of my Guitar amp and pedals needs as well.

Here's something you my not have known about Allied,They are owned by RS in england.Thats right Radiospares!!!!!
Can you say cool transformers for marshalls??
Uh, I think the RS that is connected to Allied Radio is Radio Shack. Tandy Corporation.
0 x

Mr_dB
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Mr_dB »

LooseChange wrote:Great! I like the Sprauge Ad... " Just right for your rig".

I've never seen the Koolohm resistors.
Remember the ads that said "Don't be vague, ask for Sprague"?
0 x

brownnote
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by brownnote »

Mr_dB wrote: Remember the ads that said "Don't be vague, ask for Sprague"?
Yes, I do!
I have some old stock with that slogan on it.
0 x
Remember kids...Always adjust for minimum smoke!

bluesfreak68
Unrated

Post by bluesfreak68 »

I especially like the pricing of the Amplifier Kits :wink:

cu
bluesfreak 8)
0 x

Keith2112
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Keith2112 »

I especially like the pricing of the Amplifier Kits
If you adjust for modest inflation, the prices are not much less than what you would pay for a good kit today. The 20 watt kit listed at $33.50 in 1953 would list close to $300 today with an inflation rate of 4% per year, which is fairly close to the 50 year average rate. Compare that to a Brown Note kit at $350. The Brown Note kit comes with faceplates and a pre-punched chassis which the old Heathkits might not have. The big difference would be that in 1953 you would be getting American made tubes, whereas today you will get Russian or Chinese varieties.

It is fun to contemplate the prices but remember that in 1953 an annual salary might be 2 or 3 thousand dollars, not tens of thousands of dollars. In many ways, things are far superior today for the DIY enthusiast.
0 x

Dana-L
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Dana-L »

Mr_dB wrote:Hallicrafters made clock radios?????!!!!!!!!!

Do not tell me that Collins made them too...
In this handbook, the Hallicrafters advertisement is several pages long, which surprised me because I'd never really even heard of them (no radio buffs in my family).

Wondering how I could not know about an electronics company that appeared to have been a prosperous technology leader, I did some Googling and learned they'd followed the sad and familiar path to destruction traveled by companies that get acquired by a larger company that is later itself acquired, etc., etc.

Big, successful companies sometimes seem so all-powerful when in reality very few are able to thrive for more than a few decades. Woolworth's, Sears Roebuck, General Motors, NCR, RCA, IBM, Microsoft, Wal-Mart - It's only a matter of time.

Cheers,

-Dana
0 x

Dana-L
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Dana-L »

brownnote wrote:
Mr_dB wrote: Remember the ads that said "Don't be vague, ask for Sprague"?
Yes, I do!
I have some old stock with that slogan on it.
I've thought of you, Brownnote, as I've enjoyed the illustrations and text stylings in this old handbook because you've done such a nice job of capturing the period vibe in many of your own graphics. :thumbsup:

-Dana
0 x