RE: AMP noise

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Mich
Unrated

RE: AMP noise

Post by Mich »

Hello:
Does any one know if amps built with noise suppression, ie; rectifier hum are affected tonally as apossed to the amps built without regard for any electrical noise. I am not an electrician. I know that my Stratocaster noiseless pickups sound different than my stock pickups.

Thank you. Mich
0 x

Michael
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Michael »

Apples and oranges. Noiseless pickups are very different animals from noise suppression systems in power supplies. For example, Lace PUPS use a magnetic comb instead of coils, so the electromagnetic field is different than a single coil pickup or even a humbucker.

Everything depends on how and where the noise suppression takes place. If it is post rectifier, it could affect sound based on the technique. For example, you sag could change depending on if you have some sort of contant current device involved. But...most noise suppression devices people use for guitar power supplies have no affect on the sound of the amp and little affect on noise. The filter networks in basic tube amps are filtering the ultimate in noise, which is a huge 50 or 60 hertz signal. Sometimes they introduce noise spikes if diodes are used, but in my experience those spikes are high frequency and do not show up in the amp's sound.

My conclusion is the noise suppression systems are unnecessary, with the exeption of ground lift, if you want call those noise suppression devices.

As always, I welcome those with more experience and knowledge to contribute and correct as required.

Your mileage may vary,
Michael
0 x