Mercury Magnetics Group Buy

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

geoffreysnow
Unrated

Post by geoffreysnow »

isn't it cumulative? So once you purchase 25 over any period of time, that column is your cost from then after?

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/order-web.htm

So your orders from this "group buy" get you savings from now on?
0 x

tarzanalog
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by tarzanalog »

I don't see that as a problem. He's offering to buy half of them on this order anyway to get over 25 and he's cutting us in on the deal to boot!... OH!, and taking care of the Paypal fees on his end.. AND shipping out the different parts of the order to everyone who' in on it.

Thanks in advance Steve!
0 x

n8b
Unrated

Post by n8b »

It's a win-win the way I see it. I've had this Silvertone sitting around here waiting on a proper replacement OT for a year now. I just haven't been willing to sink $$ into a MM. Now, it's basically half price.
0 x

mchauck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by mchauck »

Steven...can you help me pick a OT for a 50 watt plexi w/ EL34s? I don't know enough to chose a voltage. I will be using SS rect. I will Paypal you my payment if I can wade through the choices...thanks

Brian
0 x

tarzanalog
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by tarzanalog »

mchauck wrote:Steven...can you help me pick a OT for a 50 watt plexi w/ EL34s? I don't know enough to chose a voltage. I will be using SS rect. I will Paypal you my payment if I can wade through the choices...thanks

Brian
S2... sent you an email basically asking the same thing. Any help you could provide would of course be most appreciated.
0 x

mchauck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by mchauck »

HEY!!!!!!!! I just noticed that I am practically down the street from Mercury Magnetics. If I can be of any help hand carrying anything or what-not, just let me know.

BH
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

geoffreysnow wrote:isn't it cumulative? So once you purchase 25 over any period of time, that column is your cost from then after?

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/order-web.htm

So your orders from this "group buy" get you savings from now on?
Yes. That is indeed the plan. But I see it as a win for everyone involved. I get the savings I want down the road. Each person who participates gets iron at cost.

I am asking each person to pay shipping from me to him/her, but I am not asking to be paid for shipping from MM to me. I'll cover that. I'm also not asking people to cover the PayPal fees. I'm paying those as well.

It is a little self-serving, but not offensively so IMHO.
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

mchauck wrote:Steven...can you help me pick a OT for a 50 watt plexi w/ EL34s? I don't know enough to chose a voltage. I will be using SS rect. I will Paypal you my payment if I can wade through the choices...thanks

Brian
Yeah. I'll have a look. Lemme look up what I used in Bonamassa's amp and find the 50W version for you. It was some good stuff.
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

DowdyLama

Post by DowdyLama »

Please put me down for a JTM30-O output transformer...and thanks!

email: jim at dowdylama dot com
Last edited by DowdyLama on Thu 05/10/07 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

Brian
I used the O100JM for Joe B's amp. So the O50JM should be equivalent.

For power, I used the MP10068. The P4550JT-G2M looks to be close to the same if you can use a lay-down transformer. If you need stand-up, the P50JM should work.
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

mchauck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by mchauck »

Great....the laydown will work fine. Let me know what the total is and I will paypal you. BTW....since I am so close to MM...can I pick up at the Chatsworth store with no shipping?

BH
0 x

mchauck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by mchauck »

Steven....payment sent for the PT and OT for my plexi...thanks
Regards
Brian
Last edited by mchauck on Thu 05/10/07 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

E-rex
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by E-rex »

s2...payment sent via paypal. Thanks for hookin me up.

The only other amp I've ever had with MM iron was a 1/2 Gilmore Jr. That little guy kicked arse and I'm betting that the MM trannys had something to do with it.

Thanks again...you the man!
0 x

thegipper

Post by thegipper »

Does this mean that S2 will be selling mercury as a dealer? That's good news, it's the best out there without question!

I'm stuck at hammond pricing ...mm too rich for me. How will the plain old s2 ones I see on your store compare? I'm not expecting mercury quality for that price.. but are they decent?
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

thegipper wrote:Does this mean that S2 will be selling mercury as a dealer? That's good news, it's the best out there without question!

I'm stuck at hammond pricing ...mm too rich for me. How will the plain old s2 ones I see on your store compare? I'm not expecting mercury quality for that price.. but are they decent?
Not sure. The immediate idea is to put them in Cat 5 amps as stock. But I **could** end up selling some of the more popular ones online.

Honestly, I think certain MM models sound great and others are marginal at best. In some cases, mine sound better, Heyboers do too, so do Schumachers, etc. MM isn't the be-all-end-all of transformers, but it is hard to argue with the brand recognition. I don't own a single amp with MM iron, and it isn't because I can't afford it. I've just been happy with other units until brand recognition is forcing my hand. I'm tired of answering the "Why don't you use MM iron?" question constantly.

But I'm not currently selling transformers at all due to metal costs and other supply issues.
Last edited by s2 on Mon 05/14/07 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

OK, we are up to 19 transformers, which is enough for me to close it out and place the order. If anyone else wants to dive in, be sure I get your PayPal before 9AM CST Monday. I am placing the order with MM then unless there are objections.

Cheers!

s2
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

mchauck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by mchauck »

Hi s2....please order me a choke for a 50watt plexi as well. I believe it is an MC10H. 19.00 Let me know if thats possible at this time and I will send it to ya.

Thanks
Brian
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

mchauck wrote:Hi s2....please order me a choke for a 50watt plexi as well. I believe it is an MC10H. 19.00 Let me know if thats possible at this time and I will send it to ya.

Thanks
Brian
Still can do!
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

Another note...

I will ship these overseas, but can't know the shipping rate up front (obviously). We can settle up on the shipping after they are mailed if you like.

We are now up to 23 units (plus chokes).
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

mchauck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by mchauck »

s2...can I get all three trannys in one box?
If so...I owe you 11.00 If not, I owe you 19.00.
Let me know and thanks

BH
0 x