Head Cabinet Drawings

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

clobo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by clobo »

Hi,

I too would be greatly interested in a 2x12 slant cab. Needs to be the same size as the 4x10 found in the download section, but fitted with a straight 2x12 (disgonal), with that obscure "fake slant front" shim.

The construction details of that "fake" slant cab has been the most keeped secret on the web :roll: .

I have already built the "real" 4x10 slant version (with 36W head), but I would like to change the baffle for 2x12.

I can share the real slant construction details

Claude
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

clobo,

The trick to the Fake slant is that the baffle is one piece with a raised grill cloth. The grill cloth frame is made to include the slant. Go to my gallery and look at the SIII-One gallery. I made like a Marshall mini-stack with the top cabinet a slant 1x12. Otherwise the cabinet is made like scaled down 4x12 (see the plans in the downloads section).
0 x

clobo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by clobo »

Thanks Richard,

I looked at your pics, but I don't see how is the grillcloth actually supported at the "break" angle. Did you add another horizontal frame piece later on ?

If yes, then my understanding is, that horizontal frame piece would be partially covering your speaker hole, right in the middle.

Then for a small square cab with 2 diagonal speakers, that horizontal frame would still be covering top and bottom of each speaker (respectively).

Or am I still missing something ?

Claude
0 x

drumslinger

Post by drumslinger »

Excellent plans User. Many thanks!
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

clobo wrote:Thanks Richard,

I looked at your pics, but I don't see how is the grillcloth actually supported at the "break" angle. Did you add another horizontal frame piece later on ?

If yes, then my understanding is, that horizontal frame piece would be partially covering your speaker hole, right in the middle.

Then for a small square cab with 2 diagonal speakers, that horizontal frame would still be covering top and bottom of each speaker (respectively).

Or am I still missing something ?

Claude
On the small 1x12 cab I didn't bother with the center brace. The cloth is naturally stiff enough to not be necessary. It is just supported on the sides.

I did build a slant 2x12, but it is just 26 1/2 inches tall. Pretty tight fit. It has a center brace. You can see it in the gallery behind the SIII One in a few pictures.

On a 2x12, I wouldn't worry about the parts of the speakers being covered.
0 x

clobo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by clobo »

Thanks again Richard,

My cab is 25x25, I used 4x10 dimensions found in red on the 4x12 plans from the download section. Now I will build a new 2x12 diagonal baffle, following your idea.

I also found a picture of the real thing. From the back we can see the horizontal frame, and also the logo support plate.

Claude
0 x

ctams
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Went ahead and built a quick 2x12

Post by ctams »

I couldn't wait any longer to sink the 2 Celestion Relic 30s I've had for a while into something. Basically, I followed the 2x12 combo drawings in the download section here, but alterd the dimensions a little. It turned out sounding great, but looking just OK. I'll eventually re-do the piping on the front. It's not real piping, the real stuff looked too fat on this cab.

http://tamscolin.googlepages.com/new2x12cabinet
0 x

zappacat

Re: Head Cabinet Drawings

Post by zappacat »

What wood/thickness did you use for the exterior pieces(the outside of the box) for the amp head cabinet? Thanks for the plans.
0 x

acdcrocks0323
Unrated

Post by acdcrocks0323 »

Great great great drawings! Many thanks.
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

zappacat,

If you're building one to exact Marshall specs, they use 5/8 inch baltic plywood, but for a 2x12 you can use either 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch. Most metal corners are made to fit 3/4 ply.
0 x