Marshall relaunches 18Wer (and others)

The place to discuss 18W-related ampfests, get-togethers, gigs, etc. These should be of interest specifically to 18watt.com members.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, rock_mumbles

kinai

Post by kinai »

Dig this :

http://www.marshallamps.com/images/products/hw/

(by the way I'm a newbie. Hi all!)
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Someone on plexi palace said there is a demo recording of the 20 watt head..its in guitarist magazine. If anyone has that,maybe they could post it in our files..

Richie
0 x

mark0614
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

The end of the grill cloth debate.

Post by mark0614 »

Judging by the picture of the grill cloth at the Marshall site, it would appear that Marshall aren't going to try to make something that looks like the old "pinstrip" grill cloth.

That's a pity, because it looks so good!

Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Plexi wrote:If anyone has that,maybe they could post it in our files..
It's a real *cool* demo track. I just hope it's not illegal to post it.
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Yeah that is kinda goofy.. if its a demo of the amp,seems they wouldn't mind posting it so people could hear it..Which may sell some amps for them..lol

Richie
0 x

Psalm150
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Psalm150 »

I just want one of those repro footswitches!
Then my amp would be complete!
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Plexi wrote:... if its a demo of the amp,seems they wouldn't mind posting it so people could hear it..Which may sell some amps for them...
The demo was done by Guitarist magazine, not Marshall. But you could argue that it might help them sell more of their magazines, then...
0 x

pete_skelton

Post by pete_skelton »

I've just remembered something. At the demo I saw, they had a guy in a Marshall t-shirt saying a little bit about each amp on show, and he was going on about the amp "pushing the speaker past its ratings". I felt like reminding him it was an 18W amp with a 20W speaker, and that that lovely tone was coming from the output stage. How can their staff know so little? You'd think they'd have someone with loads of knowledge specific to the gear theyre showing off, in case someone like me or anyone else with some knowledge started asking questions

peter
0 x

zenstate
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by zenstate »

Isn't the magic tone a combination of output valve distortion, transformer saturation AND speaker breakup [ie in his words the speaker being pushed beyond it's normal limit]?

[And this was all distorting, at first, kind of by accident and sounding great]

Maybe he was just being selective, instead of going into the whole chain/story?

BUT someone recently was arguing that speaker breakup was not a reality?

I think it is.

Maybe I need educating?

It reminds me of:

I remember when I met Jim Marshall and I said to him that my Park 45 didn't sound great when distorting ( I hadn't the correct type of cabinet for it at the time and it sounded poor - sounds great now).

His reply was : "They were never meant to distort in those days". [We're talking made in '64/'65]

best wishes :)
0 x
"Go for it!"...said the Buddhist..."you only live 4.387 times!!!"

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jaysg »

Wow! "Hand soldered" speaker cabinets. What will those crazy guys think of next? :roll:

As to OT saturation, I think that's oversold and undesireable. PI's are a bigger influence. imo...
0 x

zenstate
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by zenstate »

Ah but the hands that do the soldering garnish fingers of diamonds and great beauty. he he...
0 x
"Go for it!"...said the Buddhist..."you only live 4.387 times!!!"

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

pete_skelton wrote:At the demo I saw, they had a guy in a Marshall t-shirt saying a little bit about each amp on show, and he was going on about the amp "pushing the speaker past its ratings". I felt like reminding him it was an 18W amp with a 20W speaker, and that that lovely tone was coming from the output stage.
Yes, but bear in mind that 18W RMS is roughly 36W peak, and you will also get transients of well over 50 to 60 watts. Somone recently measured 40W transients coming out of a 6W AX84 P1! In non-guitar applications, usually it's usually recommended that speakers are rated at least twice the amps' RMS output power, or preferably four times, for this very reason. So the speaker will in fact be pushed fairly hard, and at times possibly even beaten within an inch of it's life! :mrgreen:

As for "hand soldered" cabs, I would have thought that Marshall could find much better ways of gluing down their tolex, other than solder. :lol:
0 x

loverocker
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by loverocker »

pete_skelton wrote: he was going on about the amp "pushing the speaker past its ratings". I felt like reminding him it was an 18W amp with a 20W speaker,
Well, as a rule I don't leap to the defence of marketing bods :) but the 18W figure is for the amp's clean output, no? A cranked 18Wer must put a lot more energy through the speaker.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I think someone said it actually measures only around 15W clean - can't remember who it was, but yes with distortion it will be quite a lot more watts hitting that speaker....
0 x

pete_skelton

Post by pete_skelton »

I still felt like asking him some questions, like what types of valves are they going to ship with? Can I hear the trem going :D ? Just brassed me off a bit because he seemed to be saying that the amp was staying totally clean. Thankfully it isnt

peter
0 x