Marshall relaunches 18Wer (and others)

The place to discuss 18W-related ampfests, get-togethers, gigs, etc. These should be of interest specifically to 18watt.com members.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, rock_mumbles

loverocker
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Marshall relaunches 18Wer (and others)

Post by loverocker »

I just read that Marshall has announced 3 new amps at Music Messe:
* 18W 1x12
* 20W L&B
* 100W SuperLead

All PTP, all-valve replicas to be "priced competitively with boutique makers".
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

HI,

That is great. Bring 'em on. Where did you read this?

I have no doubts that Marshall's 18W will be inferior to our amps.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

Ingo
Transformer Guru

Post by Ingo »

Hello Graydon

...that Marshall's 18W will be inferior to our amps....

:wink:

Regards
Ingo
0 x

Prophet
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Prophet »

Hey,

If the new Marshall 18 watt sounds as "GREAT" as the Bluesbreaker. No one has to lose any sleep! :wink: But there will be people that want it because it is Marshall!

Don't believe the hype!

Antonio
0 x

loverocker
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by loverocker »

There's a thread over at the Plexi Palace (posted by a Marshall guy - Mitch someone). Supposedly these are the whole deal - accurate cosmetics, ply backs on the 4x12, more accurate rubbery grille cloth (!), etc. Interesting to see which OTs are used...

So it should be a proper replica - nothing like the reissue Bluesbreaker that wannatone and other toneseekers have upgraded completely.
0 x

jersey_aaron
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by jersey_aaron »

If Marshall releases an authentic resissue PTP Marshall 18 watt, its good news for us, but bad news for the boutique amp shops. If real Marshall 18 watters come in at under $1500, you can bet the "little guys" are gonna have to slash prices. Actually, it might be pretty much over for the sale of knockoffs if the authentic repros live up to expectactions.

Look at the new reissue R9 Les Pauls - Gibson did it right, why can't Marshall? And why pay some boutique guitar builder to make you a copy of a Les Paul when you can have the "Real Deal" from Gibson, especially if they cost less and will always have a solid resale value?

I say - Three cheers to Marshall if they do it right!
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

Ingo wrote:Hello Graydon

...that Marshall's 18W will be inferior to our amps....

:wink:

Regards
Ingo
Ingo,

I just reread my post. I suppose that sounded bad. I meant that the Marshalls will not be any better than the amps that we in the 18watt.com group are building.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

jersey_aaron wrote:If Marshall releases an authentic resissue PTP Marshall 18 watt, its good news for us, but bad news for the boutique amp shops. If real Marshall 18 watters come in at under $1500, you can bet the "little guys" are gonna have to slash prices. Actually, it might be pretty much over for the sale of knockoffs if the authentic repros live up to expectactions.

Look at the new reissue R9 Les Pauls - Gibson did it right, why can't Marshall? And why pay some boutique guitar builder to make you a copy of a Les Paul when you can have the "Real Deal" from Gibson, especially if they cost less and will always have a solid resale value?

I say - Three cheers to Marshall if they do it right!
It remains to be seen what price they put on it. There is no way they will retail for $1500 in the USA. Based on the prices the boutique guys are charging, and the supposition that Marshall can probably charge a little more, I think the Marshall 18W RI will be around $3000. I don't think they can do it for much less than that anyway.

I personally am not afraid of declining market share at all.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

Prophet
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Prophet »

Hey,

Sorry to say Marshall will try but will fail!

No way they can make 18 watters like the boys on this site. The cost and limits of mass-production will not allow this to happen. If they do build the amp like us it will be $3000 retail, just look @ the hand wired Vox AC30 $4000-$4500. I don't think Marshall will use Sprague caps and killer sounding transformers.

Gibson is very diffrent, most of the guitars are made by hand with a CNC body and neck parts but the rest of it is hand made for the Historic stuff.

Antonio
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

I wonder if these will have the optional reverb..
If they build these,i don't think they will be under 1500.00 And i don't think they would have even considered reissueing these amps, if it wern't for places like this ,and all the other clone builders that have brought these amps back. Only a few years back,there were not many people who even knew what one of these amps were..Now there are a bunch of them that have been built.

Richie
0 x

Professor

Post by Professor »

Plexi wrote:I wonder if these will have the optional reverb..

Richie
do you think Jim still has the orig reverb schem?
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Well i went over to plexi palace and posted.. You can't be too critical over there, they'll boot ya from the palace..
I just wanted to ask,Mitch Cloby, if they build these amps,and they are priced with botique clones..they better not skimp on the parts to build the new amps with.
Most of the RI stuff people buy,are nothing like the originals, and people end up gutting them,replaceing the board with good parts, and changing transformers. Pretty much just useing the shell and chassis,and cosmetics.
There are some really great 18s out there,built with good parts trannys,and all that. So if the price is comparable with the botique amps..they better build them with camparable parts too. Hopefully these will not be like some of the past RI they have been building.
Theres also been a few changes to some of the clone amps,that to me make them a bit better than the original.
HAha.. they also won't have a TMB..or a head version..or different speaker configuration.. Or a 36 watter. Which they should have offered all models of speaker configurations. I guess we'll have to wait and see how they are made/sound.If they use the trannys that they have been useing in all there other amps..thats the first mistake. I've worked on many of the current vox and marshall amps..and the trannys they use are junk..
I'm a marshall fan myself, and just want to see them build an amp like they used too.
Richie
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

"""do you think Jim still has the orig reverb schem?"""

They should have it somewhere..lol
But i doubt they will offer the new amp with reverb..just my guess..

its almost funny.. here they made the white Jaguar leather covered amp,with gold plated everything.. and end up sticking sovtek tubes in a 20,000 dollar amp.. I wonder who they have working that come up with these ideas.. That would be like Ford reissiueing the Cobra GT,and putting a GEO engine in it...

Richie
0 x

jersey_aaron
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by jersey_aaron »

Have some faith. After all, Gibson wised up. Also, Marshall is not going to sell an 18 watt 1x12 combo amp for $3000 if their aim is to "compete" with Boutique builders. You'll probably see a list price of $3000, and the amp selling for much less.
0 x

Ingo
Transformer Guru

Post by Ingo »

Plexi wrote:"""do you think Jim still has the orig reverb schem?"""

its almost funny.. here they made the white Jaguar leather covered amp,with gold plated everything.. and end up sticking sovtek tubes in a 20,000 dollar amp.. I wonder who they have working that come up with these ideas.. That would be like Ford reissiueing the Cobra GT,and putting a GEO engine in it...

Richie
:lol: :lol:

somewhere you have to gain your money.

Regards
Ingo
0 x

Nederamp

Post by Nederamp »

They might have the amp built in asian countries. Thus have very low labor cost. As this effects the total production cost most.
Nico
0 x
Nico Verduin
Netherlands
nico.verduin@wanadoo.nl

dboul
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by dboul »

Plexi wrote:
Most of the RI stuff people buy,are nothing like the originals, and people end up gutting them,replaceing the board with good parts, and changing transformers. Pretty much just useing the shell and chassis,and cosmetics.
There are some really great 18s out there,built with good parts trannys,and all that. So if the price is comparable with the botique amps..they better build them with camparable parts too. Hopefully these will not be like some of the past RI they have been building.
. . . .Richie
Yep, if history is any indicator, Marshall's Reissue's only look like the original, but I've never heard one of their "hand wired" reissues. They definitely have the capacity to make a fine reissue, whether or not they do it is another question. I agree with your pricing estimates, it would have to be over $3k for it to be worth their while. The handwired Vox head is over $3k and it's from Korg also. I didn't see any mention of timeline on the thread either. It could be 2-3 years before we see it. I remember when they announced the JTM45 reissues, it took almost 3 years to see it.

Here's the Plexi-Palace post from Mitch Colby if anyone would like to read it . . . Mitch is the Senior VP of Product Development for Marshall/Korg USA. He's not only "in the loop" he IS the loop.
"""""This is the beginning of a hand wired series of Marshall replica products. Each one has been carefully copied including tone, cosmetics, construction, and components (including carefully redesigned and selected transformers, caps & resistors). Cabinets are birch ply including backs, metal handles, S&P grill cloth and hand soldered speakers.

1959HW – hand wired replica of a circa 1967 Super Lead. Check out the schematic in “the History of Marshallâ€
0 x

Psalm150
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Psalm150 »

Of course you realize this website is directly responsible for this 18w recreation. And there are several here that Marshall owes at least a debt of gratitude for doing all this research. I wonder if the Marshall crew used our handy multi-color layout?
8)
0 x

dboul
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by dboul »

Psalm150 wrote:Of course you realize this website is directly responsible for this 18w recreation. And there are several here that Marshall owes at least a debt of gratitude for doing all this research. . . . 8)
HERE HERE!!
0 x

EBE
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by EBE »

I'm sure Marshall can save some money by using Chinese celestions. :cry:
0 x