Marshall relaunches 18Wer (and others)

The place to discuss 18W-related ampfests, get-togethers, gigs, etc. These should be of interest specifically to 18watt.com members.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, rock_mumbles

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

jersey_aaron wrote:What did Jersey Aaron tell all of you? Look at that, $1,920 for an authentic Marshall PTP reissue 18 watt 1x12. Large chains will probably have them for $1800.00 or less. Now its official, its time for the sellers of 18 watt 1x12 clones to start sweating.
Aaron,

I am still not sweating _at all_. Of course I am not makign much money at it either, and it doesn't feed my kids, but still, I don't expect any loss of business. If anything, I'd wager that my business will go up as a result of this. I'm not sure how one would measure that but I think it will be true.
:wink:
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

jersey_aaron
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by jersey_aaron »

I don't see how. If Marshall offers a real 18 watt 1x12 cheaper than a GDS clone, why not buy the real thing? The real marshall can be modded to be more original with the same parts as the clones. I would say, your sales of parts will go up, but sales 1x12s will plummet and probably die altogether. Unless of course, you can beat Marshall on price. Makes no sense to pay more for a clone, when $25 in parts will upgrade the real Marshall with the good clone parts. Its a no-brainer.
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

You know.. I sure believe what Graydon said.. we all aren't building these and making tons of money..and that was never the issiue from when we started..
And as for the new Marshall 1x12..i'm not at all that impressed.yes i am that they are building PTP marshalls and more old style,instead of the buzz machines....but again,it looks more like there version of a clone of the amp..but doesn't look as good as the clones.
As a matter of fact..i've seen some of the amps our newbies have built,that look better than the new marshall..
I'd also have to hear one,against some of the clones people are building.
I also think they will have the same problems we've been having,but have figured out the curees for them. Only time will tell. Although marshall has always built a great cab..
I also thought there 20 watt head was much better looking,as compared to a real 20 watter.. the 1959hw also looks good, but no inside pic.
But as for a recreation of the 18, i think they came up short,and could have done better if they wanted to. I would like to hear how they sound!!
Oh and no 2x12..dang..but they do offer an extra 1x12 ext cab.. Still not the same... Thats the other good thing i like, we can build what we want or like..we can add the few little mods to our amps.. that i think have improved the 18. I guess..i'm glad they are building the new amps..but sure not worried..lol

Richie
0 x

Ingo
Transformer Guru

Post by Ingo »

Plexi wrote:You know.. I sure believe what Graydon said.. we all aren't building these and making tons of money..and that was never the issiue from when we started..
And as for the new Marshall 1x12..i'm not at all that impressed.yes i am that they are building PTP marshalls and more old style,instead of the buzz machines....but again,it looks more like there version of a clone of the amp..but doesn't look as good as the clones.
As a matter of fact..i've seen some of the amps our newbies have built,that look better than the new marshall..
I'd also have to hear one,against some of the clones people are building.
I also think they will have the same problems we've been having,but have figured out the curees for them. Only time will tell. Although marshall has always built a great cab..
I also thought there 20 watt head was much better looking,as compared to a real 20 watter.. the 1959hw also looks good, but no inside pic.
But as for a recreation of the 18, i think they came up short,and could have done better if they wanted to. I would like to hear how they sound!!
Oh and no 2x12..dang..but they do offer an extra 1x12 ext cab.. Still not the same... Thats the other good thing i like, we can build what we want or like..we can add the few little mods to our amps.. that i think have improved the 18. I guess..i'm glad they are building the new amps..but sure not worried..lol

Richie
Hello Richie,

I agree with with you. Shure, the new modells looks more vintage than all other RI modells, Marshall made in the past. The prices are, regarding the other RI´s, really low and this is a sign, that they want to have lost market shares back. As you have said, in the moment, the sound is a great unknown thing. Transformers are not made by Dagnall and I wouldn´t be surprised to see transformers in the new RI-modells coming from Taiwan and if they have the quality as in they have had in the JCM900 series, it would be a larger investiton as some people might expect in the moment.

Kind regards
Ingo
0 x

jersey_aaron
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by jersey_aaron »

I'm dumbfounded that a majority of you aren't willing to give Marshall the benefit of the doubt. God, have some faith people! So far, you've all been wrong on the price, and I'm hoping that the tone kicks butt!! Look, if you don't like the way the board looks, rip it out and put your own in for $50. If you don't like where the rectifier is - MOVE IT! All of a sudden an amplifier that comes from the Marshall factory can't be modified to suit your liking? Look at what you are saying. "Oh, whats that I see? Ohh I don't like the capcan they are using. Screw it then. Forget that amp. Never gonna be able to replace that. Rubbish".

You people are acting ridiculus. A real 18 watt can now be had for $1900, less than a clone! Rejoice!
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

"""Transformers are not made by Dagnall and I wouldn´t be surprised to see transformers in the new RI-models coming from Taiwan and if they have the quality as in they have had in the JCM900 series, it would be a larger investiton as some people might expect in the moment. """

Ingo... yes the transformers are Dagnall in the RI 18..but thats what they use in some of the other amps..with the plastic insides or made the same.... but these were supposed to be redesigned to 18 watt specs..

JA.. I think your missing the point,or what we were getting at.

""So far, you've all been wrong on the price"""

I was never wrong on the price,cause i never guessed.. :)
Yes the amp is fine..made well etc..the moving of the parts they did..no big deal..

But if you have followed the Re-issiue stuff for years,you'll see none have been like the originals. A re-issiue amp,should be the same as what they are copying it from.. Now they go to calling them HW,hand wired..
Well they shouldhave been when they came out as re-issiues !.. Still rule out all those things..i'm still glad to see them building these amps and others.Its a start. I've always been a big marshall amp fan..One of the biggest.

But if you say, well if you don't like the board change it..trannys whatever.. whats the point.. if you just bought an amp thats supposed to be marshalls clone of an original Marshall 18..

Thats what happened to the re-issiues of the past..
I'm sure this amp will be fine.. After working on many of the re-issiue amps..fenders marshall vox.. they are not the amps inside,of what they are representing..
Now they are getting better..handwired..and even some of those in the fender line..are not all that grand..But all this is just my opinion.
At least this amp has the board,and everything looks pretty good.I wonder of the dagnall trannys..

Richie
0 x

Ingo
Transformer Guru

Post by Ingo »

Plexi wrote:If you've been keeping up on the plexi palace posts.. Mitch Colby[marshall rep] responded to how the amp will be made. Its going to be done in there HW [hand wired] amp building section.. The amp will be copied just as it was built years ago,with a board,and axial caps,birch cab,everything..except dagnall trannys.

Richie
Hello Richie,

have I understood something wrong there with the trannies?

Regards
Ingo
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Ingo..maybe i worded it wrong or it looked funny..

I ment Except, it will have Dagnall trannys..or made by Dagnall..
Since there aren't any RS trannys.. So hopefully i cleared that up..
Richie
0 x

capnkid
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by capnkid »

I say Bring them on, I will be selling my 18 watt clones for $1199.00. Now, go ahead and spend $600.00 more for a name.
0 x
"Hello Cleveland."

capnkid
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by capnkid »

That price is out of the goodness of my heart, I am not greedy. I will unveil them this summer.
0 x
"Hello Cleveland."

drgork

Post by drgork »

Hey everyone. I have been reading the posts on our site and the Plexi Palace site with great interest. I personally don’t find it surprising at all that Marshall would reissue the 18 watt. The cat is definitely out of the bag on the 18. I would credit this site for that. Certainly the people at Marshall (and other companies) have watched this site for months now and have read the success stories and praise our amps have received. Given the unique tone and capabilities of the 18, it’s just too good for people not to notice. I really see this as a tremendous compliment to individuals such as Graydon, Mark’s Durham and Huss, Paul Ruby, Richie, Jeff Swanson, Ian, etc., etc. who helped start this site and keep it energized with all the things we’ve accomplished and have yet to do with these great amps. Marshall will no doubt sell more of their 18’s then the group will ever be able to produce, but that really doesn’t matter. As I looked at the photos of the new chassis on the Plexi Palace Marshall discussion, it was obvious that several changes had been made to the layout, trannys, capcan, etc. Even Blockhead has changed the layout of the phase inverter on their regular 18’s. So what does it all mean? Not much really. The Blockhead and Bacino are both great amps. I’m certain both have used this site on more than one occasion. I’m also certain Marshall has as well. But both Blockhead and Bacino are selling everything they make and the prices are at the top of the heap. Will Marshall’s entry (re-entry) affect us? I really don’t think so. There are probably more people out there that would rather buy a genuine Marshall versus a clone, but there are the others that don’t feel the re-issue amps are as good as the originals or a lovingly made clone. Many will buy the Marshall 18 and be content. However, I have a customer with a JTM45 offset reissue and quite frankly he doesn’t care much for it. I really don’t either. It’s a nicely made amp that looks great and sounds good, but it just doesn’t sound incredible. He thought about selling it, but you can still find new ones at dealers and he would probably take a bath. I have heard JTM45 clones that blow the re-issue away. Same for the Hand wired AC30. It’s a great amp. But the circuit was re-vamped by Tony Bruno (Tony builds a great amp, I used to own one), and it’s not going to be exactly like an original. Our lead guitarist has an original ’63 with blue bull dogs and none of the re-issues touch it. Even the original 2x12 I had in here a few months ago had certain aspects of the tone that I’ve never heard from a clone. It was truly amazing. It just inspired me to keep working on making my amps better.

Bottom line is DON’T STOP BUILDING. No one makes the 18 like the people on this site PERIOD! If your goal is to sell some of your amps, keep your plow in the ground. A customer that really knows tone and craftsmanship will want your amp. Another thing is the time it takes to build one of these amps well. We all know you can’t stamp these amps out. Once again, there’s no way a large company can do what an individual can do that really cares about craftsmanship. If a handmade amp costs more, so be it. It’s worth it.

I agree with Graydon in that Marshall’s 18 will only raise more interest in the amps. I must admit that there’s a side of me that has always wanted to keep these amps our secret, but they’re just too good. Too damn good!

Finally, there is no amp site that’s as good as this one. It’s the best. As we’ve seen in the past, the large companies are always reactive instead of being proactive and realizing what they had. It took this site to do that for them.

Sorry for being long-winded!

Danny
0 x

Ian
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Ian »

Clear enough from Mitch Colby that the grill cloth still won’t be an accurate copy of the original (should have been easy?) :( . Looking at the photos on Plexi Palace - I guess they thought it was a practical improvement to re-position recto valve & cap/can, add connectors for footswitch & speakers, & make the alloy chassis with end cheeks etc., although that does mean it’s not made as a strictly accurate copy.

Price from Coda Music UK seems very precise, so maybe not a mere guess – dollar currently fluctuating low against £ (may soon rise), but they price it near $1890. At that price I suppose it could seriously hurt the clone builders. I guess the bottom line will be; what does it sound like with Dagnall transformers & newly designed Greenbacks? I suppose we’ll soon find out - did I read Colby saying “due for release in Augustâ€
0 x

nipsey_russel

Post by nipsey_russel »

This is kind of interesting, because I bought a magazine (maybe published by Guitar World or some such), about a month ago, a special devoted to Marhsall amps and the history of Marshall amps. I was surprised to see not only several mentions of the original 18 watter (and claims to their awesome tone), but also a handfull of photos of rare coloured original 18 watters.

Not something you expect to see on Sunday afternoon on the Mag rack at Books-a-million!

I was tickled to see this and grabbed the 'zine, but I also noted that it was surprising to see the acknowlegement about this relatively obscure amp (especially for an American magazine).

So now I hear that Marshall is planning to reissue their 18 watter?
Strange indeed!
0 x

Benboom
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Benboom »

One thing that nobody is mentioning is resale value. A Marshall 18 watter is likely to have better resale value than most clones, although I don't doubt that some will eventually acquire Holy Grail status (most likely after the builder stops making them). For guys who build thier own ampls to play through this won't make any difference, but non-builders who want an 18 watter are likely to take this into account.

I don't understand the depth of hostility I see in some of these posts. So Marshall makes an 18 watter? So what? The amp you build will still sound just as good (or bad, if you have wiring issues or whatever) as it did before the reissue came out.

To me the bottom line is how the reissue sounds, that's all. Personally, I don't care how it's built as long as it's reliable and sounds good. I'm guessing it will sound pretty good but the reliability is an unknown right now.
0 x

dboul
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by dboul »

jersey_aaron wrote:I'm dumbfounded that a majority of you aren't willing to give Marshall the benefit of the doubt.

You people are acting ridiculus. A real 18 watt can now be had for $1900, less than a clone! Rejoice!
Respecting everyone's opions . . .I would add that I've been buying and playing "reissue" amps for a couple of decades now and I've owned many of the amps that have been eventualy reissued and I don't really give anyone the benefit of the doubt . . . prove it. There are great looking and sounding reissues and awful ones. I bought my first Marshall in 1977 and I still haven't heard too many amps around that sound like my first 50 watt small box head. The jury's still out. These guys need to prove it, they may very well do it, but I don't see why I should give them the benefit of the doubt??

Also, to say that all anyone wants is a price point may be a bit naive IMHO. If Graydon makes an amp that sounds better to me, I'll pay more for it. Simple equation.

Hey! Where are they getting EZ81's???? Is someone making them now??
0 x

dboul
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by dboul »

jersey_aaron wrote:I'm dumbfounded that a majority of you aren't willing to give Marshall the benefit of the doubt.

Respecting everyone's opions . . .I would add that I've been buying and playing "reissue" amps for a couple of decades now and I've owned many of the amps that have been eventualy reissued and I don't really give anyone the benefit of the doubt . . . prove it. There are great looking and sounding reissues and awful ones. I bought my first Marshall in 1977 and I still haven't heard too many amps around that sound like my first 50 watt small box head. The jury's still out. These guys need to prove it, they may very well do it, but I don't see why I should give them the benefit of the doubt??

Also, to say that all anyone wants is a price point may be a bit naive IMHO. If Graydon makes an amp that sounds better to me, I'll pay more for it. Simple equation.

Hey! Where are they getting EZ81's???? Is someone making them now??
0 x

Wannatone
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Wannatone »

Hey Dan,

seems like they got Sovtek to make EZ81´s.

Cheers,
Adrian
0 x

dboul
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by dboul »

Wannatone wrote:Hey Dan,

seems like they got Sovtek to make EZ81´s.

Cheers,
Adrian
Aha! Thanks Adrian! I probably should have read further! :lol:

I haven't found the pic on Plexi palace . . . any tips? I don't have time to sort through the 20+ pages of the thread. Has anyone downloaded them here?

Thanks again buddy!
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

http://vintageamps.com/PlexiPalaceUBBcg ... 008425;p=8

Thats the link to the page of pics..which is on pg 8.

I guess when the site here was reset,we lots Mitch's posts..

I may have copied them. i'll have to look..and i have alot to look through to find them..lol
Richie
0 x

dboul
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by dboul »

I've heard from a very reliable source that Marshall is doing a very limited run of the 18 watter. Has anyone heard how many they might make?

I would assume that the smaller the run, the more demand it would create for clones and variants . . . if the reissues are high quality of course.

All the best guys!

(thanks for the link Richie)
0 x