Pentode (EF86) pre-amps and combo's?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

AC Cobra

Re: Pentode (EF86) pre-amps and combo's?

Post by AC Cobra »

Will do. The 4th guitar on the list is mine (provided it dosent get bumped back by more orders) I also need to free up the CNC so I can cut out my chassis, or use one of the mills at my day job.
Thanks for the encouragement.
There will also be a video of the 2 guitara we are building at this moment, but it will probably be recorded with amplitube so not entirely revalent to 18 watt.com
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

I noticed this a while back, but forgot to mention it. If you look up the data sheet for the Z729 (which is GEC-MOV talk for EF86),

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/fran ... 29_GEC.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there is a section on af operation with lots of handy hints on how to minimise hum and microphony. Particularly, you will find there is a sentence suggesting that connecting the screen to ground via a paper capacitor of at least 0.1uF stops a lot of noise.

Worth a read.
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Huh. Apparently I never posted my results. The RFT EF86 tubes are excellent. However, there are plenty of fakes out there, so be careful if you're looking for an RFT tube.

Here's a couple demos with an RFT EF86 in a combo:

0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

F***in great tone Josh!!!
When did you record this?
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Mon 04/15/24 1:46 am
F***in great tone Josh!!!
When did you record this?
lol, thanks. Uhhhhh, 9 years ago. Somebody liked one of my posts so the thread pooped up for me. 🤣
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

dwetherby
Unrated

Post by dwetherby »

Hey so I don’t know how to post on this but I bought this amp from this guy for like 150 and sometimes it just sputters and gets a tone drop I found a cold sodder on a preamp tube, I fixed it and don’t get a drop out but just sounds kind of muddy. I’m also wondering about the resistors on the tubes and how schematics I look at don’t have the resistors going off to the board but they jump pins??? Also all the schematics I see are 3 ax7 but this one has two? I know nothing but to discharge the caps to not get shocke. Does this look right to you guys? Could be a tone pot issue possibly? Guy I bought it from said he built it off this site.

Also this is all at volume at about 3 (can’t tell if gain is volume or volume is volume…kind of all sounds the same) to keep up with band..at low levels it sounds great up to 2

Edit:
Just added two pictures of the pots for volume bass gain and Treb…I feel like my other amps I have and other amps I’ve seen don’t have resistors and stuff on the pots? A resistor on the 1/4” input??? Does this look right or excessive? Sorry and thank you in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

Probably a single channel 18 w. Hard to tell from the pics which one but you can look at the downloads section to see if you can match any with the values you have there.
The build style is unusual with the separate faceplate and chassis. My big question is has the faceplate been grounded? The green ground serves the pots but I see no dedicated ground back to the chassis.

Dd

Edit: the fitting of components directly to pots, switches and other parts is normal in wired assembly. PCBs commonly have those components on the board not on the pots etc. Increasingly common is for the pots etc to also be on the board which leads to lots of failures as the components move in use while the board is stiff so eventually the legs or tracks can break.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

The resistor on the input is the 1M grid leak resistor from the 1st amplification stage. It is really necessary, and more often than not right there where yours is.
I do see some odd stuff in your amp, apart from the poor soldering job all over.
The input jack is a switching type, but it’s not grounded at the switching. I assume that this amp is pretty noisy when no guitar is plugged in?
All over there are things that raise my hair. Even for 150$ it’s a crime to sell this thing. IMHO looking at it makes me wonder whether it is safe to use. Be very careful!
I recommend stripping the entire amp and start over, using one of the schematics in the download area. The parts used are very poor quality, or mediocre at best. I would even get rid of the filter caps too, because by judging the rest of the job that’s been done I seriously doubt they were treated well.
OTOH, good enough platform to build yourself a decent amp.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"