18W with reverb again...

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

kmenard
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by kmenard »

I didn't notice any when I did it...but I wanted to make sure I wasn't hearing what I 'wanted' to...as my wife often acuses me of doing :)

thanks graydon!
Graydon wrote:
kmenard wrote:so s2...what happends when you click the delay off?

does it then cancel the signal?
Keith,

When you mix two out-of-phase signals, they only cancel when the relative volumes are very close. If the two volumes are far off, then you won't notice the phase cancelling at all. In this case, the volume of the reverb channel will likely be very low compared to the volume of your direct channel, so you won't notice the phase cancellation likely.

Try it out for yourself...
0 x

Cathode_Ray
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Cathode_Ray »

[quote="KingCrimsonI have something to admit. Back about 7- 10 years ago when I was in a band, or when I started recording my own demos, I used chorus, phase shifter, and even delay on too many things. When I listen back to them now, it makes me cringe because it sounds oversaturated. Plus, all the 80s overprocessed sound makes me cringe, although I love alot of 80s songs, I cannot stand the huge exploding drums with the gate on the end, or the OVERLY chorused guitars. I do, however, enjoy how Crimson used it, The Police, and Rush. But in my case, I want to get back to the organic side of things as much as I can because I feel it's better tone and because I want to learn how to play without having all these things masking my playing. It can become a crutch of sorts.

[/quote]

Amen! I agree with the "crutch" part. It all began with fuzz boxes and went downhill from there. I remember when I built one from a plan in Popular Electronics(or such). Became more fascinated with sound than the music.
Background "textures" such as chorus are great but doesnt susbstitue for virtuousity. There's been a serious lack of good guitar players for years. Go tour AX84 site(which is good technically) and see how much playin/music you encounter. It's all about fast crunch/grind overdrive... dude!
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

asheman_51 wrote: Go tour AX84 site(which is good technically) and see how much playin/music you encounter. It's all about fast crunch/grind overdrive... dude!
As AX84 is an *amp building* site, not a guitar technique site, your comment is very misplaced. And what is this recent thread all about - http://www.ax84.com/bbs/dm2.php?id=197222 ? And as for fast, crunch, overdrive, I personally find an unhealthy level of interest in such topics as "clean headroom" and "Fender clean tone" on AX84. Clean is for cissies! :mrgreen:
Last edited by zaphod_phil on Thu 11/03/05 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

EBE
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by EBE »

zaphod_phil wrote:
asheman_51 wrote: Go tour AX84 site(which is good technically) and see how much playin/music you encounter. It's all about fast crunch/grind overdrive... dude!
As AX84 is an *amp building* site, not a guitar technique site, your comment is very misplaced. And what is this recent thread all about - http://www.ax84.com/bbs/dm2.php?id=197222 ? And as for fast, crunch, overdrive, I personally find an unhealthy level of interest in such topics as "clean headroom" and "Fender clean tone". Clean is for cissies! :mrgreen:
It's the ying to the yang. Got to have that fender clean AND the Marshall Crunch. Mr. OverProcessed himself EJ uses 2 fenders and 2 marshall on stage. Wonderful....
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Yeah, and he's a cissie too! :lol: Kind of unusual for a Texan.... :)
0 x

EBE
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by EBE »

zaphod_phil wrote:Yeah, and he's a cissie too! :lol: Kind of unusual for a Texan.... :)
etu brutus.... I still refuse to believe it. Next you will say Doug Pinnick is a cissie. Kingsx was based in TX for a while. I see a theme developing.
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

Clean is for cissies, because to play clean you actually have to care about such unimportant things as dynamics, tone and technique. Buzzy is fun, but it sure covers a multitude of shortcomings... :roll:
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Techniques and dynamics still count. You can't say that Page, Blackmore or Iomi all lack technique and dynamics (none of who are from Texas... hmmm...) despite the fact that they use lots of distortion. And distortion *is* tone!!! :mrgreen:

I wanna rock!!!

Maybe time to cut down on the coffee....

Edit: Billy Gibbons is from Texas and uses distortion too. There's hope for the lone star state!
0 x

Buschman
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Buschman »

I've used this method with a tweed Bassman & outboard Fender reverb tank & IT IS the way to go. You even get tone control over you reverb this way. Also works with a 4 input Marshall. Digital delays are okay but they don't give the feel that a good spring reverb gives.
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

I wouldn't say any of the 70s guitarists using amp distortion are as distorted as today's Messy Burgler slingers are! You can still actually tell what kind of guitar they are using. :lol:

Even Warren Haynes only sets his Soldano on around 3, so you get the compression but with some clarity.
0 x