New amp line from Reason

The place to discuss 18W-related ampfests, get-togethers, gigs, etc. These should be of interest specifically to 18watt.com members.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, zaphod_phil, rock_mumbles

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Reason wrote: Jumpering channels puts them in parallel, StackMode arranges the channels in series. Plenty of amps put gain stages in series, but StackMode uses the respective gain stages from the two independent channels to create a third sound/channel. The sonic possibilities are greatly expanded because you retain control over each gain stage individually (via the channel volume control, tone control, etc.) as opposed to only being able to control the gain stages collectively.
This sounds very similar to the way some folks put the two channels of an 18W TMB amp into cascade, with a switch to allow independent or cascaded operation. Still "stacked mode" sounds like a cool kind of name to describe it.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

mattbrew0
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by mattbrew0 »

:) Anthony,
sounds great . killer vintage, i have'nt been there for a while. i'll have to stop by and try it out. congrats on a job well done., matt
0 x

brownnote
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by brownnote »

I've played the amps are they're badass.
The fundemantal difference in the Stack Mode concept as I understand it, is the fact that unlike standard series gain stages, there is a tone network between the gain stages..meaning the volume and tone controls of the independent channels, become something like:
gainstage1>tone1>gainstage2>tone2>master vol>etc. of the "stacked" mode, giving you different tone shaping possibilities than you normally see.
0 x
Remember kids...Always adjust for minimum smoke!

geekmacdaddy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by geekmacdaddy »

I got to play the Reason amps extensively at NAMM. Wow. Anthony, you and Obeid are "insta contenders" with your amps. You know I like a rock amp compared to a "smooth" amp, and you know who you smoothies are :lol:. I had to come to your booth a number of times for much needed relief. The amps left me wishing that I owned one. You guys came up with some winners! Best of luck in carving your niche.
0 x

Reason
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reason »

brownnote wrote:I've played the amps are they're badass.
The fundemantal difference in the Stack Mode concept as I understand it, is the fact that unlike standard series gain stages, there is a tone network between the gain stages..meaning the volume and tone controls of the independent channels, become something like:
gainstage1>tone1>gainstage2>tone2>master vol>etc. of the "stacked" mode, giving you different tone shaping possibilities than you normally see.
You are correct sir! (done in my best Ed McMahon voice.)

Thanks to Rocco, Geek and Kenny for stopping by to hear our stuff. I should point out that I had nothing to do with the design of the amp- that credit goes to my partner Obeid Khan. I'm just the lowly cabinet guy.

One more thing- I just want to reiterate that my purpose for starting this thread was to thank those who bought cabs from me over the years and gave me the opportunity to do what I love as a full time vocation. Also, I have alot of good friends here and wanted to keep them in the loop. I'm certainly willing to discuss our amps as questions arise, but pluggin' my amps was not my aim. (I mean, this is a DIY forum, right? What good would promoting my amps do here?)

Thanks guys,
0 x
Anthony Bonadio
Reason Amplifier Company
www.reasonamps.com
Stage Craft Cabinets
www.stagecraftgear.com

BBQLS1
Old timer, Never stops talking
Old timer, Never stops talking

Post by BBQLS1 »

Anthony, did you ever get a cab site up?
0 x
Don´t ask me what I think of you. I might not give the answers you want me to.

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

Keep up the great work Anthony!!

Great to meet you, your bother....I mean dad, and Obeid. The SM50 is one of the best rock amps that I've heard in a while. Obeid's little foray with the Wayne strat was awesome!!
0 x

Reason
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reason »

BBQLS1 wrote:Anthony, did you ever get a cab site up?
Not yet- I'm working together with a fellow 18watter to do a new site. It will feature a ton more cabs than my old site and (not to let the cat out of the bag) will be one stop shopping for kit builders. The site should be live in a couple weeks. Until then, folks can alway email me with their cabinet needs.
dartanion wrote:Keep up the great work Anthony!!

Great to meet you, your bother....I mean dad, and Obeid. The SM50 is one of the best rock amps that I've heard in a while. Obeid's little foray with the Wayne strat was awesome!!
Hey Darrin! Thanks for spending so much time with us at NAMM. I know you drove a tough road to be there. Thanks for the compliments on the amp, though I give all the credit to Obeid.

Take care all,
0 x
Anthony Bonadio
Reason Amplifier Company
www.reasonamps.com
Stage Craft Cabinets
www.stagecraftgear.com

allynmey
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by allynmey »

Anthony, I'm glad I had a chance to play the SM40 at NAMM. That amp kicks ass! I'll see you in May at the NY show!
0 x