need 6V6 recommendations

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

lovedat800
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

need 6V6 recommendations

Post by lovedat800 »

I converted my 18 to 6V6 and i think i'm going to covert it permanently. (used socket converters) But the tubes i used were not mine and i therefore need to buy some. But i know absolutely nothing about whats good and whats bad as 6V6's go. So you know what i like i'll give you some of my preferences. I prefer EL34's to most anything i've ever used. Never met a 6L6 i really liked. Like 84's but my 18 for some reason just didn't sound right with them. In EL34's i always liked the german tubes, and when they went away i liked those dual getter teslas they mad till the early 90's. Hated svetlana 34's when they first came out...dunno what they're like now. Hate JJ 34's, but I like thier 84's more than other current prod tubes.Thier 34's were dull and lifeless even tho they looked to be the same tube as the old teslas except they had a single getter.

So thats where my preferences lie. I like a round soft tone but with a sparkly top, and clean headroom because i use mostly preamp drive and don't care for power amp grind. So knowing all that, what 6V6 would be my likely tone mate?
0 x

JohnnyCrash
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by JohnnyCrash »

JJ/Tesla 6V6s are pretty tough. Wide response, can handle a lot of voltage.

Electro-Harmonix sound just as good to me (they're often placed second to JJ's in tone), and EH's are relatively inexpensive. I think most "Fender" labelled 6V6's these days are actually EH's... of the two pairs I've bought, they were both EH with Fender logos silkscreened on as well.
0 x

lovedat800
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by lovedat800 »

fenders are what i used to test it. But i've yet to find a russian tube i liked much, so JJ's would be the winner between those 2. Thanks. anyone else?
0 x

sub
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by sub »

http://thetubestore.com/tungsol6v6.html
http://thetubestore.com/tesla6v6s.html

What i heard, read these two tubes are best new prod.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

AFAIK the Tung Sols are genuine 6V6s. JJ 6V6s are a bigger, fatter tube from the old iron curtain, that look like something between a 6V6 and a 6L6. Personally I love the JJ 6V6 tone. I haven't tried the Tung Sols yet, although I've also heard great things about their tone.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

lovedat800
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by lovedat800 »

What is this "s" version ? I don't see it on the eurotubes site unless for some reason they just neglect to specify the "s" part of the name. And what is the difference if there are indeed 2 JJ versions ?
0 x

sub
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by sub »

lovedat800 wrote:What is this "s" version ? I don't see it on the eurotubes site unless for some reason they just neglect to specify the "s" part of the name. And what is the difference if there are indeed 2 JJ versions ?
http://www.jj-electronic.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=11
http://www.jj-electronic.com/pdf/6V6.pdf
I see only one type 6V6 on JJ site > JJ6V6S
If i not wrong S letter is irrelevant , JJ like the S letter :mrgreen:
....7159 S, 6V6 S, ECC83 S, ECC802 S, ECC803 S, EF806 S
0 x

lovedat800
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by lovedat800 »

I guess Bob at eurotubes just spaced and left it out, but i will ask him if i order them. The tung sols sound like they'd be good too, so i dunno. I'll probably go with JJ.
0 x

tubetek
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by tubetek »

I've not tried the "new" Tung-Sol offering; both the JJs and the new EH 6V6 seem to be robust and reliable, but-
The JAN/Philips 6V6GTA is still available for about $75-80 a matched pair.
The RCA 6V6 (Holy Grail) is still around (www.partsconnexion.com)
Both of these BLOW the JJs and EHs AWAY tonally and, IMO are worth every penny I've paid for them. (they are steadily rising in price and there won't be any more so if you want some, don't wait too long to jump on some) HTH
tubetek
0 x

lovedat800
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by lovedat800 »

I understand that to a degree. But i have to say that in my years i have encountered many things that were better without a doubt, then went away leaving me lost. Strings, tubes, you name it. I'd rather be happy with a tube i know i can always get and at a cheap price then one that will go thru the roof in price, be hard to get, and eventually go away. I also think that the best tube on earth in a average design can't compete with the perfect design powered by good current production tubes. It's happened to me many times where i find a tube i like then it goes away. And a killer circuit will sound killer with tubes that are common and always available. Just MO, but i really am tired of finding things i love only to see them become unavailable eventually.
0 x

betawi-bule

Post by betawi-bule »

I've got RCA NOS, Mullard NOS(CV511-Brimar), Tungols, and EH and (subjectively speaking) the hands down winner is the RCA's. However the new production Tungsols are so close, the RCA's advantage (which may be mental), makes the cost difference hardly worth it.

The Tungsols have great definition, good overall freq response, maybe a slight emphasis on the high end and handles the 400+ plate voltage with no problem . The worst of the batch is the Mullards - completely lifeless, bassy, no definition - maybe these don't like the plate V in my 6v6Plexi. The EH are similar to the Mullards.

If I'm building something new with 6V6s, my first choice would be the Tungsols.

Randy
0 x

demonufo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by demonufo »

NOS Brimar 6V6GTY for me. The JJ's are a very different tube, can handle more voltage, and to be quite honest seem to require more voltage to sound good as well. They work great in my 2204 however, but I'm not fond of them in my champ. The tung-sols do work quite nicely however, but if you can stretch to the Brimars, it's well worth it.
RCA's are lovely, but very hard to find now.
0 x

lovedat800
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by lovedat800 »

Tung sol it is. Thanks all.
0 x

tubetek
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by tubetek »

I'm not trying to change your mind lovedat800, but consider that ANY tube you buy today may well not be available next year even if it has the same box, name, supplier, etc. Example: In the 80s we could still buy the (pre-JJ) Tesla E34L (EL34L) for almost nothing; same tube Marshall sold and recommended. That tube has now been out of production for years. The best we can do is to build to a spec and then try what's available that fits. When you find one that works for you, better stock up...NOS, new production or whatever. Have fun
tubetek
0 x

lovedat800
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by lovedat800 »

If they sound incredible i'll buy several sets. At my age i don't have to worry about a lifetime supply. actually, at my age a few sets IS a lifetime supply !
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Here is a 6V6 test report from Watford Valves in the UK. As with anyone else's test reports, the results will be somewhat subjective, but still worth reading.... http://www.watfordvalves.com/cgi-bin/do ... ort_45.pdf
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

GOOD VALVES = GOOD WINE

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Oh mee gosh, I am busy building a 6v6 amp at the mo and so am taking a keen interest in this thread, after reading the Watford valve report one thing that seems consistent is that describing valve characteristics seems to be an art similar to wine tasting :idea: Has anybody got a handy link to a jargon dictionary for valve characteristics?

I would preferably like a full bodied sound, with hints of summer fruit and a crisp lingering aftertaste, but would also consider a full bodied sound with a spicey woody pallet and long, long legs… mmmm I am torn :?

Seriously , Thanks for the info so far
0 x

PeterS
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PeterS »

Yes, they describe the GEs as having a large soundstage, not sure they'll fit in my rehearsal room.

There's lots of good used 6V6s that were made by companies like RCA but branded for radio makers like Crossley...
0 x

pezed
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by pezed »

the JJ "S" designation is for their "Spiral Filament" .... Whatever that means :lol:
I guess its supposed to heat up quicker or be more rugged?
0 x

filg
Unrated

Post by filg »

Love dat,
Where did you get those tube socket converters from? I assume they are 9 pin to octal converters, right?
Thanks,
Phil
0 x