Quick question

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Quick question

Post by Newbie »

Have any of you guys ever used a 36 watt for bass? I like my amps to be versatile and nothings more versatile than a guitar/bass all in one. That is in my opinion.
0 x

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

There are no quick questions when it comes to amps and the internet....

FWIW, I've found the 18 circuit to sound surprisingly good with bass, you might want more power for gigs, but it should be fine/great for rehearsals, especially if you like just a little grit and compression on the low end.
0 x

kedsinger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kedsinger »

Yea, I agree w/ Alexo.You could always experiment w/ other preamp. Use normal for guitar and tweak TMB side for bass. Go with higher value coupling caps. Might want to experiment with preamp bias on the TMB side too ex..higher cathode R&C
0 x

Post by Newbie »

How exactly would I perform these tweaks? I don't gig anymore and I'm just a bedroom warrior these days. I think it would be kinda cool to have a natural fuzz/distortion from the amp with only a hint of compression. I'm also curious about the 36 watt design and it's flexibility, since M*****l never really made too many bass amps. I don't know of too many in production today to be quite honest. Everything said I really like the advise that I get here at 18watt!!!
0 x

kedsinger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kedsinger »

Newbie wrote:How exactly would I perform these tweaks? I don't gig anymore and I'm just a bedroom warrior these days. I think it would be kinda cool to have a natural fuzz/distortion from the amp with only a hint of compression. I'm also curious about the 36 watt design and it's flexibility, since M*****l never really made too many bass amps. I don't know of too many in production today to be quite honest. Everything said I really like the advise that I get here at 18watt!!!
This forum is dedicated to learning. Just do a search on changing coupling caps etc.. in lew of reposting. Keep in mind read all safety info first. DIY is fun but it can kill you. 8O
0 x

ScottS

Post by ScottS »

At least for home practice use, 36W ought to be plenty. I sometimes plug a bass into my 10W homebrew amp with an 8" speaker, and it works surprisingly well. 8)

- Scott
0 x